Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Priming with Light Brown Sugar

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
GrapeKoolaid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming with Light Brown Sugar

Finially after 3 months of sitting my Chocolate Oatmeal Stout is ready for bottling. Unfortunately I have to bottle this beer and do not have a keg yet. Has anyone used Light Brown Sugar to prime their beer? What kind of flavor should this add? I was going to use 5/8 cup unpacked Light Brown Sugar for 5gal of Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. Any help?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
rhamilton
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I love my house IPA kegged with brown sugar. I use 85% of the usual amount intended for bottles and I think it carbs perfectly. It'll add a very very very faint molasses flavor -- it might not be noticeable in a stout.

Don't go by volume, definitely go by weight. Based on my spreadsheet, 3.5oz of brown sugar should put you around 2.0 volumes CO2

Kegged: County Jail Pale Ale, AHS Anniv IPA, AHS Brooklyn Brown, Raspberry Wheat, Blood Orange Hefe, Ranger IPA clone (x2), Newcastle clone, AHS Irish Red, Centennial Blonde
Bottled: Session Series Belgian Saison, Apocalypso, Pecan Porter, DFH 90 Minute Clone, Apfelwein (x2), Wytchmaker Rye IPA Clone, Vienna/Simcoe SMaSH, Munich/Cascade SMaSH

Old 05-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #3
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 441 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 545

I've tried both light and dark brown sugar for priming and wasn't able to detect any flavor from either.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply