The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Priming with dry wheat extract: How much to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 04:47 PM   #1
jxs226
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Priming with dry wheat extract: How much to use?

Folks,

I have 5.5 gallons of Belgian Tripel (FG=1.002!) that needs to be bottled asap and I only have honey and dry wheat extract available for priming.

While the honey comes from my hives and is high quality, I would rather not rely on it for priming. This leaves me with the dry wheat extract and, after much googling, I have seen only a few references to using this for priming.

Assuming I want ~2.2 volumes of CO2, could anyone please give me a ballpark on the volume (I do not yet have a balance) of dry wheat extract to use for priming? 1 cup? 1.5 cups?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
shanecb
Kvlt Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Here's a pretty good calculator that will tell you: http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

DME and dry wheat extract or close enough that you won't really have to make an adjustment (the calculator gives you amount of DME).

EDIT: Whoops, missed that you need it in volume. If you can get the amount by weight I'm sure someone would be able to tell you about how much that would be in cups.

We are the Sons of Winter and Stars
We ́ve come from a far beyond time
Forever the fire burns in our hearts
Our world shall never die
- Wintersun

Old 04-06-2011, 05:24 PM   #3
jxs226
Recipes 

I was unsure of the relative fermentability of dry wheat extract compared to DME, that's why I posted my question here.

Even within DME, there appears to be a bit of variation in fermentability and thus in the amount required for priming. To which is dry wheat extract most comparable? DME 55%? DME 70%? DME 75%?

In any case, it seems like a cup of dry wheat extract might get me close. Any other thoughts?

Old 04-06-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
RIT_Warrior
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you know what brand it is? Most brands clock in at mid 70s% fermentable I think, but some brands (Laaglander is the example I see the most) are less then that. If it is Briess here is a handy chart which may or may not help you:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Ass...actBooklet.pdf

Quick Reply