New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Priming for carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
donshizzles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Priming for carbonation

For those who still bottle their brew, do you prime the bottles themselves or do you prime the full amount in the fermentor, then place into bottles?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Most of us boil up priming solution, rack the beer to a bottling bucket and add the solution, then bottle from there.

I have some tips for bottling in this thread...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

It's much easier to bottle with a bucket and boiling your sugar in a bit of water...there is a risk in priming bottles individually...and few grains of sugar too mcuh and your bottles could go boom...Glash shards and wasted beer is not fun.

You also might benefit from taking a look at this chapter on bottling from How to brew.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Priming and Bottling

If you insist on NOT going the bottling bucket route, rather that adding sugar in the bottles, consider getting priming tabs like muntons...they are pre measured sugar tablets with the correct amount of sugar for each bottle.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-19-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
donshizzles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Thanks Revvy. So if I ferment in an ale pail, would you suggest still running into another separate bottling bucket?

Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Originally Posted by donshizzles View Post
Thanks Revvy. So if I ferment in an ale pail, would you suggest still running into another separate bottling bucket?
Yes. The point is to get the beer off what has settled out of it and to be able to mix the priming solution, that's why you go to a bottling bucket or other intermediate container..A bucket woth a spigot, is the easiest....If you just ad your solution to the fermentation vessel, in order to mix it evenly, you would then end up stirring up all the sediment you patiently waited to clear out...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply