The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Primary and Secondary fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
thomas5451
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Primary and Secondary fermentation

I use all grain for my homebrews. When the instructions suggest 1 to 2 weeks primary then 1 to 2 weeks secondary what is the difference? I guess what i am asking is does it mean you can ferment in primary in one week and then secondary a week then bottle! What is the difference if you ferment just 1 week in primary and 1 week in secondary compared to doing 2 weeks in both? (Irish Stout)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 PM   #2
SCHUWEET
Recipes 

Time heals all wounds...The longer you let it alone for the yeasties to do their magic the better. You may end up with yeast still in suspension after a short 1 week ferment, resulting in cloudy and yeast tasting beer.

You could skip the secondary and leave it in the primary for 4 weeks or longer. Just personal preference at that point.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
bdupree
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've seen those instructions a lot in kits. There is no advantage whatsoever in leaving a beer for a week or 2 in the primary then a week or 2 in the secondary. I'd just leave it in the primary for a month then bottle. I only use a secondary if i'm aging a beer for an extended period. Always make sure that beer is done fermenting (check with a hydrometer) before racking to a secondary.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
DoctorDuvel
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 21

do breweries usually transfer into a secondary fermentor?

I brew a lot.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
thomas5451
Recipes 

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 PM   #6
jhorgan1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I would say at least 2 weeks in primary. Secondary isn't really an issue. I'm only planning on using a secondary now if I need to dry hop or add some sort of fruit or something to my beer. If you are really trying to rush it, 2 weeks will probably be fine although I'd go for 3 weeks min, 4 weeks preferable. I brewed a Guinness clone a little over a month ago and drank it all this weekend at a party with my friends. In my opinion, after 2 weeks you are just going for clarity. With an Irish Stout you don't really need to worry about that. IMO

In the works: Lime Beer, Stone Ruination clone, my quest for my own perfect original IPA recipe
Primary: Edworts Haus Pale Ale, PM Raging Bitch clone (dry hopping)
Keg: Guinness Clone
Bottled: Oktoberfest and Sourish IPA

Quick Reply