Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pretty easy to make alcohol

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
Ó Flannagáin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Default Pretty easy to make alcohol

No wonder its been around so long. I left a sample from my weizen bock sitting on the kitchen counter (far away from where I added my yeast to my wort). I woke up the next day and it was fermenting!!!! The yeasties were bobbing up and down and bubbles were going and there was a good looking krausen on top. It smelled terrible, but still interesting how easy it is to catch some wild yeast and have them ferment sugars. Anyone else seen anything like this?

After 3 days it was down to 1.018 from 1.063

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #2
Reidman
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 1 Posts

Did you drink it..?

Old 04-13-2007, 12:04 PM   #3
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Yeap capturing the wild beasts. To be honest, it pretty much happens %99.9999 of the time when fermentable stuff is left unguarded and precautions are not taken. To make sourdough starter you basically just sit a thick paste of Rye flour and water out and wait....where it gets really interesting is when say you made a sourdough starter and I took some home, there is a huge chance that mine will just become dominated by my locally strong strains. I have read about a lady who gave her friend that lived just a stone's throw away her sourdough starter on several occasions. Her starter was very mild always, with almost no detectable sourness...now her friend, try as she might, her starter would always ineviteably turn very sour.

This is the same concept behind say Lambics. The spontaneous fermenting yeasts and such are just the dominant strains in that particular locale...for whatever reason(s). If you have the drive to experiment, this is one really cool avenue to pursue for making a brew that cannot be replicated easily by anyone and for all practical purposes would be unique from the strain alone. That guy from New Belgium brewing spoke about this type of thing in a podcast from www.basicbrewingradio.com.

It sounds like you have some vigorous strains hanging around...which quite possibly is a result of all the brewing you do.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #4
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

heh heh... the ol lambic brewdog You should try it... maybe its a yeast culture you want to hold on to???!

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 04-13-2007, 01:15 PM   #5
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsloop
heh heh... the ol lambic brewdog You should try it... maybe its a yeast culture you want to hold on to???!
Dude, it smelled soooo sour, I was tempted to take a sip, but DID NOT happen. I couldn't get past the smell. As far as culturing it, I might experiment with wild yeasts a little later in life. I'm gonna be moving across seas in a few months and don't want to get too involved in anything I'm gonna have to leave behind. That's why I haven't bought kegs and built a bar yet

Old 04-13-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

I've got a hydrometer sample that's getting it's krausen on. Been tempted to try it. Also, I'm thinking about a mead experiment with wild yeast.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

making alcohol is easy....making it taste good, well that's were the real challenge is!

Old 04-17-2007, 04:18 AM   #8
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seefresh
Dude, it smelled soooo sour, I was tempted to take a sip, but DID NOT happen. I couldn't get past the smell. As far as culturing it, I might experiment with wild yeasts a little later in life. I'm gonna be moving across seas in a few months and don't want to get too involved in anything I'm gonna have to leave behind. That's why I haven't bought kegs and built a bar yet
Sounds like a Lacto Bacillus to me, not wild yeast. It's on grains to begin with.

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 10-12-2012, 02:02 AM   #9
PistolaPete
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glibbidy View Post
making alcohol is easy....making it taste good, well that's were the real challenge is!
Glibbidy,

You hit the nail on the head! I'm going to quote that in my sig from now on, if you don't mind, of course!

Quick Reply