Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > "Pressurized" Cold Crashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2012, 05:10 AM   #1
muse435
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A while back I tried to cold crash for the first time. I wanted to minimize the amount of air (oxygen) being pulled in as the temp dropped so I riged up a tube connected to my co2 tank and put the regulator at ~1 psi. After about twenty minutes I heard a pop as the bung popped out of the better bottle. So now that it is cold outside once ore and I have a beer about to be transferred I was thinking of trying to cold crash once more.

My new plan it to inflate a ballon with co2 then zip tie the balloon to my air lock. My thinking is that any air sucked in will just be from the balloon, thus minimizing the exposer to oxygen.

Any one have any helpful thoughts on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #2
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It might work, and you have had some good ideas. I don't think you need to be worried about oxidation, and if you wanted to carbonate your beer, buy a keg and cool it at 30 psi.

Its drinkable quite soon that way.

Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 AM   #3
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No need to do any of that. Just put your fermenter into the cold. I cold crashed over 30 batches in 2012 with no oxidation and didn't do anything more than stick my fermenter in the fridge.
Your beer will have a layer of CO2 blanketing it in the fermenter. Even if you do get the tiniest bit of O2 sucked in to your fermenter you still have that blanket protecting your beer.

Quick Reply