Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Prefered bottle orientation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2013, 03:55 AM   #1
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Prefered bottle orientation?

When bottle carbing a brew is there a requirement that the bottles are standing or laying to achieve the best results. I just bottled 2 cases of Hanks Hefe from Midwest and my new Keezer/ferm chamber can only accept bottles laying on there sides on the shelves that are not used by the pail or Corny kegs. I have looked around quite a bit and have not seen a definitive direction to pursue in this particular instance. My thought is that since it allow more surface area of the unfilled part of the bottle it might allow the CO2 a little more area to dissolve into solution. On the other hand that is also a large area to expose to air too. Just wondered if any one has any empirical evidence to support or defer me from laying bottles on there sides when bottle carbing.

Thanks!!!
Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
freelunch
Recipes 

For the purposes of carbonation, there is no benefit in orientation, as the CO2 is being produced in the liquid where it will be absorbed if sufficient pressure or low enough temperature is present to increase the saturated gas volume.

I prefer not to lay bottles on the side as I do not believe all bottle caps are created equal, and some may not age well with continuous beer contact - but that is a hunch and I have not sought facts to support it.

If they will only fit in the chamber on their side, then I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
jaspass
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbeckett
When bottle carbing a brew is there a requirement that the bottles are standing or laying to achieve the best results. I just bottled 2 cases of Hanks Hefe from Midwest and my new Keezer/ferm chamber can only accept bottles laying on there sides on the shelves that are not used by the pail or Corny kegs. I have looked around quite a bit and have not seen a definitive direction to pursue in this particular instance. My thought is that since it allow more surface area of the unfilled part of the bottle it might allow the CO2 a little more area to dissolve into solution. On the other hand that is also a large area to expose to air too. Just wondered if any one has any empirical evidence to support or defer me from laying bottles on there sides when bottle carbing.

Thanks!!!
Wheelchair Bob
I have not tried what you are outlining, so my thoughts are just speculation. My guess is that with more surface area the beer may absorb the CO2 a little quicker, however even that will be determined by the rate of fermentation within the bottle. As technically the headspace volume will be the same on side or standing up, it would tell me pressures of CO2 should be the same. The amount of CO2 should ultimately be determined by the amount of priming. With all that said, I would anticipate no additional carbonation as that is defined by priming amounts, and at best maybe a slight quicker carbonation (but I suspect it will be about the same due to bottle fermentation time).

You should put a few bottles from this batch upright if you can swing it and see if you notice any difference.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My only concern doing this would be the sediment on the sides getting into the pour.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you condition them on their sides, then the sediment would be on the side of the bottle. At some point (when you go to pour a glass), you're going to turn it right side up and probably kick up some sediment and end up with more of it in your glass than most people usually like. It would seem to defeat the purpose of the "homebrewer's pour."

Edit: oops, didnt type fast enough.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:23 AM   #6
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelunch
If they will only fit in the chamber on their side, then I wouldn't spend much time worrying about it.
This is the right attitude though. Do what you can and it'll be fine.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #7
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 568 Times on 483 Posts
Likes Given: 155

This -V-V-

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvo View Post
My only concern doing this would be the sediment on the sides getting into the pour.
Then this -V-V-

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelunch View Post
Whatever works.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvo View Post
This.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

I agree that it's mostly about making it easier for the trub to get into the glass. And co2 absorption is also temperature dependant. Warmer,it absorbes slower,cooler equals faster.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
When bottle carbing a brew is there a requirement that the bottles are standing or laying to achieve the best results. I just bottled 2 cases of Hanks Hefe from Midwest and my new Keezer/ferm chamber can only accept bottles laying on there sides
My question is why are you carbing up bottles in your keezer. You want them at 70 to carb up.

Quick Reply