Pre prohibition beer storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennypapa

Reaction score
I was discussing an upcoming group bourbon barrel brew over a pale ale at one of local craft breweries marvelling at all the stainless steel when a question hit me.

How was beer stored before metal kegs and how did that affect the flavor of the beer?

They were stored in kegs in caves under the brewery for lagering & such. Some are still open for tours as I've seen on here & youtube.

Wooden kegs.

Maybe all old beer recipes should have some oak chips thrown in to account for the lack of oak in modern storage methods.

Lightly charred white oak might be fun. But white oak definitely. Kinda wish I still had the old house around the block. Black oak, 3 kinds of apple, maple, pin oak. Had a small shop on the back where you go out on the deck too. Just the right size for a brewery with some washer & dryer connections too. But some oak in the old styles would be historically correct.

Back