Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pouring Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
buckrogers71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pouring Question

Ok, so here is the scene: (Haier Beer Meister, 5 ft beer tubing, perlick faucet, CO2 psi @ 10, temp about 38-40*)

Over the past 2 kegs (Victory Storm King Stout and Flying Fish Abbey Dubbel) I have been getting a big burst of air/foam and then a creamy head coming out of the faucet then turm to beer. I know that my run will give a little more head than normal (my tower isnt cooled) but after a few pours, all is good. Today I cleaned the line (hadnt done that in a while ) but discovered the same situation.

On the other side I have Miller lite, set at the same PSI, but it pours from a regular faucet. No problems.

Can anyone shed light on why this would be happening all of the sudden? Never happened before.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 AM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

well i had the same problem with my kegerator all i needed to do was turn the PSI down to 5-6. also make sure the lines are cold all the way from the keg to the tap.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
buckrogers71
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
well i had the same problem with my kegerator all i needed to do was turn the PSI down to 5-6. also make sure the lines are cold all the way from the keg to the tap.
Hmmm, i dont mind a little bit of foam...but that big "pop" on the first pour (almost like I have kicked the keg (which causes small amounts of cardiac arrest for me) worries me. I'll try the PSI thing.

Chudz, i dont mind you peeing off my balcony...i dont have one

Old 02-26-2010, 01:18 AM   #4
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

You may also want to pull apart the faucet and clean it.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-26-2010, 01:46 AM   #5
buckrogers71
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
You may also want to pull apart the faucet and clean it.
forgot to mention that I did that too. The only thing that I didnt do was the tap itself. I figured that the BLC would handle that

Old 02-26-2010, 01:49 AM   #6
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm guessing uncooled tower. The foam at the start, but not at the end, points directly to uncooled tower. Your tower is warm. The cold beer hits it and pure foam. After a bit, the foam cools the tap and beer starts to flow.

Short lines give continuous foam. Overcarbed gives continuous foam. Pure creamy foam followed by beer is warm taps/tower.

Might not happen with ML because of a different carbonation level?? dunno there...

Did your house get warmer recently?

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 AM   #7
buckrogers71
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
I'm guessing uncooled tower. The foam at the start, but not at the end, points directly to uncooled tower. Your tower is warm. The cold beer hits it and pure foam. After a bit, the foam cools the tap and beer starts to flow.

Short lines give continuous foam. Overcarbed gives continuous foam. Pure creamy foam followed by beer is warm taps/tower.

Might not happen with ML because of a different carbonation level?? dunno there...

Did your house get warmer recently?
I agree w/ that 100% but whats w/ the "pop" at the first pour? Actually if I pour 1 then another I get the "pop" on the first pour of the next beer. Its almost like there is an air bubble in the line.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:12 AM   #8
Wellshooter
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I suspect a tiny leak inside the tower or the faucet. It lowers the pressure very slowly and CO2 breaks out of solution forming a bubble. Open the tap and POP, then good pours from then on. After a nites sleep and a days work the bubble has reformed.

"Doubt is not a pleasant mental state, but certainty is a ridiculous one." - Voltaire

Old 02-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
shortyjacobs
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckrogers71 View Post
I agree w/ that 100% but whats w/ the "pop" at the first pour? Actually if I pour 1 then another I get the "pop" on the first pour of the next beer. Its almost like there is an air bubble in the line.
The pop could be overcarbing, but I'm more willing to believe it is from the warm lines too. As the lines warm, CO2 becomes less soluble in the beer, and forms bubbles in the line. If I have a warm spot in a line, big huge bubbles will form, (like 1 cm diameter bubbles...stretched out inside the tube of course)...I'm guessing you get bubbles rising to the top of your tower and building in the nipple on the back of the shaft, then when you pull the tap that air bubble pops out...

(As of 10-24-2011)
Primary - Steppe 112 PA, 2x Monday RyePA
Aging - None :-(
On tap - Big Dog, Apfelwein, Steppe 112 PA

My invisible AG sculpture, with no actual sculpture and a tiny footprint.
My Kegerator goes offroading!
My Coors Home Draft dispenser for boating/beering on the go.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
buckrogers71
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs View Post
The pop could be overcarbing, but I'm more willing to believe it is from the warm lines too. As the lines warm, CO2 becomes less soluble in the beer, and forms bubbles in the line. If I have a warm spot in a line, big huge bubbles will form, (like 1 cm diameter bubbles...stretched out inside the tube of course)...I'm guessing you get bubbles rising to the top of your tower and building in the nipple on the back of the shaft, then when you pull the tap that air bubble pops out...
This is someting that I can see on the very first pour, but after the beer gets going it still happens. Also, the Miller line that runs right next to the micro line doesnt do it at all. Could there be a problem w/ the coupler?

Quick Reply