Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Potential brew stand?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
dkwolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default Potential brew stand?

I've been using my turkey fryer for my boils, and while it works quite well, I've thought it would be nice to elevate everything a bit, so 1) I'm not working so close to the ground, and 2) the burner is up high enough so I don't have to worry about my beer getting contaminated with a "Singed Labrador Retriever" aroma.

Our local farm & home store (Bomgaars) just started carrying Camp Chef stoves; they've got the Explorer two-burner model on display for $99. From what I can tell, it's two 30,000 BTU/hr burners. The whole stove unit breaks down into a travel bag (hey, it's a camp stove, right?) Not a bad price, for something that could be multi-purpose - use it for a brew day one weekend, pack it up the next for a family picnic or camping trip.

My big question is... would a 30,000 BTU/hr burner be enough? I'm sure once I had a boil going it would be more than plenty to maintain it, Otherwise they do make two more models of the stove - one with one 30,000 BTU burner, and a 60,000 BTU burner, and the other model has dual 60,000 BTU burners.

Edit: Forgot to add link

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 07:12 AM   #2
b-boy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 601 Times on 423 Posts
Likes Given: 166

I think I'd want more than 30K BTU myself. I'd go with the 60K units.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply