Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Is it possible- no "stuff" in the trub?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2006, 07:03 PM   #1
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4472 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Default Is it possible- no "stuff" in the trub?

I just siphoned my Pete's Wicked Ale clone to secondary ( and my Sawtooth clone). I always strain my wort going into primary, but I still get a little yucky stuff in the trub. My Sawtooth had typical, greenish trub (hop pellets) and other stuff. I used Safale S-04. My Pete's clone had a hard compact sediment that looked only like yeast. I used Wyeast American Ale yeast (1056, I believe) with a starter. After siphoning I poured off the beer that was just over the yeast and the stuff that was left was thicker than drywall putty and light colored. I added a little water and stirred it up- then it was the consistancy of very thick mud. I was going to do a yeast washing and save this yeast- is all that putty in there the yeast? I'd have to add a couple of quarts of water to wash this stuff. I poured it the the little water into a mason jar, and nothing is separating out. Should I add more water and attempt to wash, or save in the mason jar as is?

Lorena

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sure it's possible... um... I guess. Two weeks ago I racked a California Common that I had in primary for almost 3 weeks. Same think happened. The trub looked like that of a secondary. Nothing in there but yeast, or at least that's what it seemed. It was also very compact, it took a bit of beer & swirling to get it out nicely. I saved it in a mason jar, and is sitting in my fridge just asking to be used again in another batch... I think I'm going to have to oblige!

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 12-16-2006, 02:36 AM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Funny you should mention that...my Safale-56 was clean and putty-like also. ...yes, that's yeast...

Old 12-16-2006, 02:41 AM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Safale-56 makes for a nice stable trub, which is it great if you keg from the fermenter like I do. Or if you plan on transporting the brew at some point.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 12-16-2006, 02:42 AM   #5
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Some of that gunk is proteins from break material. I've read and heard that after you let that settle in the fridge for a few days, you can decant the water off the top, as well as the top layer. The middle yeasts are the ones that are the ones you want to keep for sure. The dead ones won't hurt it but they won't help it either.

Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply