*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > possible large scale hop farm found - can I knock on the door?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #1
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default possible large scale hop farm found - can I knock on the door?

my wife and I were out for an 18 mile run on Friday here in sunny pennsylvania when the temperatures were in the high 40's instead of freezing ice death like today. We were running between waynesboro pa and our home in State line and i look to my left and see about an acre + of what appear to be commercial hop trellises - big treated posts and top strung wires with what look like last years bines still clinging to some of the climbing ropes.

I think this is a hop farm startup or a serious hobby grower - it is visible from the road, is next to a very nice home, and doesn't appear to be a front for meth production or weed.

I want to talk to this guy/girl but I have some reservations based on my own feelings about visitors. I don't really like uninvited visitors so I just assume most other people don't either. I had planned on filling up a six pack and driving over sometime this week hoping not to get shot.

what's the appropriate etiquette here? "hey i saw what look like hop plants, do you sell locally?"

My 6 Tap Long Draw Tower Build:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/long...-tower-271578/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Nightshade
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

I used to talk to farmers all the time about photographing buildings on their land which I think is a bit more invasive, so heres my suggestion..

Knock on the door and just talk to them, ask if they sell local or would be willing to sell a small amount locally (under a half ton wet is small for most) and figure a price if they will. Treat them the same as you expect to be treated by any other person and if they are not receptive apologize for disturbing them and move on.

And for gods sake offer them a mans handshake when introducing yourself, firm but not crushing while looking him in the eyes. City people have the lamest handshakes ever, like a dead fish.

A farmer is a man just like any other, might be a bit more to the point than some but no different.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 02-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
HighGrav
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go for it. Local political, religious, and money-seeking organizations visit my door throughout the year. A fellow brewer would be a nice change up. The 6 pack in hand is a good idea.

If nothing else, you could just leave a friendly note with your contact info (and 6 pack of course).

Old 02-17-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
thaworm69
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 52

"Excuse me sir, I'm new to the neighborhood and was in the middle of making beer and I ran out of hops, could you spare a cup?"

I say go for it, the beer would be a great icebreaker. I don't see anything bad coming from asking. Maybe leave the beer on the front seat just in case you were mistaken and they have no idea what you are talking about. Good luck!

Old 02-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
DirtyOldDuck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Why not just write them a letter instead? You obviously know the address and there won't be any fresh hops until August or September, so there is no rush.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
krackin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Try to get a contact number and call first. This should be done asap so you can line up a visit. Don't arrive unannounced especially during growing season. We in agriculture don't mind visitors in a timely manner. During growing season most of us work 7 days a week, it is the nature of the business. Taking along something you have made up is not a bad idea. Take it with the intent of leaving it, not sharing it the first time out.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
I used to talk to farmers all the time about photographing buildings on their land which I think is a bit more invasive, so heres my suggestion..

Knock on the door and just talk to them, ask if they sell local or would be willing to sell a small amount locally (under a half ton wet is small for most) and figure a price if they will. Treat them the same as you expect to be treated by any other person and if they are not receptive apologize for disturbing them and move on.

And for gods sake offer them a mans handshake when introducing yourself, firm but not crushing while looking him in the eyes. City people have the lamest handshakes ever, like a dead fish.

A farmer is a man just like any other, might be a bit more to the point than some but no different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaworm69 View Post
"Excuse me sir, I'm new to the neighborhood and was in the middle of making beer and I ran out of hops, could you spare a cup?"

I say go for it, the beer would be a great icebreaker. I don't see anything bad coming from asking. Maybe leave the beer on the front seat just in case you were mistaken and they have no idea what you are talking about. Good luck!
+1 !

What could it possibly hurt? The worst thing that could happen would be to have them tell you to get lost. If this happens, I personally wouldn't want anything to do with them anyway (no harm, no foul). Then again, you could possibly meet someone that is interested in the same things you are, and end up being friends, a customer, brew partners....the list goes on. Leave the beer in the car (you can always bring it out if it seems appropriate AFTER you meet them), dress neat (but suitable for walking through a field if they offer), and grow a pair.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:42 AM   #8
HALIFAXHOPS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I live in Halifax and i thought you were talking about my place. It might be sly fox hops. There great people nd just trust me I always let homebrewers stop by that just see my place, it is kind of why I started it. I had about a dozen bines growing and 3 dozen people stopping by. I was going to start homebrewing, but why when I can trade hops for homebrew. Had some of the best brew and the worst kills slugs or gets rid of visitors quickly. I would knock.

Got Hops?

There is no problem to big or small not to be fixed by enough beer!
Just do not have your beer held hostage by the wife or you will never get anything halfway done!

Old 02-22-2013, 02:55 AM   #9
mgr_stl
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not sure what the OP's question was. Couldn't get past the 18 mile run part. Really!?! 18 miles? That's ridiculous.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:10 AM   #10
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I would drop them a letter and ask if they are in fact a hop farm, what they type they grow, and if they sell locally. Mention you are a homebrewer, and would love to see the operation first hand. Maybe even offer to help at harvest time (assuming you would want to)

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Quick Reply