Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Possible infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
cossacks19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Possible infection?

image-4288826328.jpg

Found this a few days ago, any ideas? I used Kolsch ale yeast and fermented for about 2 weeks 4 days. Then I found the little round thing you see. After finding I cold crashed for 3 days. The picture is right before kegging it tonight, am taken from looking down the neck of the carboy.

Besides the circle (smaller than a pea) you see there was other little small things floating. After racking there was some film on the sides of the carboy.

I brewed another different batch using different yeast, which I also racked tonight and everything looks fine. Any ideas if this is a infection? If yes what type? And should I be worried for future batches?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
rgontasz
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Did you taste a sample? How did it taste? If it tasted fine, your good to go! This seems obvious, but I have had similar issues and they turned out fine. I wouldn't be worried about the small stuff floating as long as their wasn't a pellicle (kind of powdery skin) which could possibly be lacto infection. If it tastes good, who cares (but make sure your equipment isn't infected)

Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
cossacks19
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

At first I thought it tasted a little off but then after trying again it seemed fine. I think it was my mind playing tricks on me. I couldn't see a powdery skin on the top for sure. But there was a little something on the side of the carboy after racking. Which I have a picture of if it will help.

Quick Reply