New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Possible Ghetto AG setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
zaprozdower
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Possible Ghetto AG setup

Ok so I've been doing partial mash for 5 batches or so now. I have a 7.5 gallon pot and my primary which has a spigot and so doubles as my bottling bucket which I understand isnt ideal (I did actually get an auto siphon recently which seems to be helping with clarity).

My question is whether or not this might work for AG...

So my boiling pot came with a little rack thing for frying turkeys. I'm hoping to put a grill thing on the top of it so that the decent size holes on it will not let grain through and kind of act as a false bottom. I also hope to build some kind of cage around it so that I can put grain in there, mash it, pull it up, and then use the same pot for boiling. Seems like its viable, any reason it shouldnt be?

Planned - Black & White IS, Braggot
Primary- Backyard Berry Wheat
Drinking - Vanilla Blonde, Wee Heavy, But Brown
Conditioning/Drinking -

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 05:49 PM   #2
ericm
Recipes 

check out the aussie BIAB method, you can easily do AG in a 7.5 gallon pot:

The Brewing Network &bull; View topic - How to go from Extract to AG for < $10.00

depending on the size/configuration of the little rack thing you describe, it might work perfectly to keep the bag off the bottom of the pot so you don't scorch it when directly heating the pot.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I don't see why not. You could also use a stainless mesh over that basket for better filtering of the grainbed, or use the Brew In A Bag (search BIAB) technique. I went the cheap route with all grain brewing initially. One kettle for hot water and boiling, an old 5g cooler for the mash tun, and my bottling bucket to catch the runnings. Doesn't matter which way you do it, it all makes beer!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 04-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I drilled 1/8" holes in the bottom of the fermenter bucket that came with the first kit I ever bought. Then I place that bucket inside the bottling bucket. Papazian named it the Zapap Lauter Tun many years ago. It's def ghetto but it works and it was from stuff I already had. I get ~88% brewhouse efficiency with it and it's lightweight and easy to clean.

Because my job is so un-KISS...I think I rebel in my brewing a little and really try to keep it as KISS as possible.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Quick Reply