Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Portland, ME brewpubs/breweries?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #1
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default Portland, ME brewpubs/breweries?

Hey, HBT'ers!

I'm heading to Portland, Maine in a couple weeks. We have plans to try places like Sea Dog, but you folks are the ones who always have the best suggestions. So any places in the Portland/Freeport, etc. area that are good for a pint? We're thinking brewpubs, bars, restaurants with good beer, etc.

Thanks all! Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
ScootersAle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Make sure you try some Oxbow beer; probably the best brewery in the state (imo). The brewery isn't in Portland, but you'll find a lot of places with it on tap. Maine Beer Company is great, they are currently moving to Freeport from Portland. Allagash is a good brewery to visit (and they are the biggest in the state). Rising Tide is also putting out some good beer. Bunker Brewing is down the street from Rising Tide, but I've never had their beer. Bull Jagger makes some great Lager beers. I'd skip Sea Dog and Shipyard, tbh.

Bars: Mama's Crowbar (cash only), Great Lost Bear (probably has the most taps in the city), Novare Res (down a back alley, can be hard to find if you don't know what you are looking for), and Thirsty Pig

Food: Duckfat is a must, Grill/Corner/Front Room - 3 different resturants owned by the same guy; all good, Gritty's Brewpub is decent (2 locations, Freeport and Portland), El Rayo (my personal fav), Fore St (make a reservation), and Hugos (if you want something really fancy and $$$$).

Big Sky Bakery is a must stop for breakfast. Gotta have a popper or a pocket, if you like pastries. I suggest getting some English Muffin bread too.

I lived in Portland for a few years. It is an amazing city, especially for food.

Up Next: Helles Bock
Fermenting: Dry Hopped Brett Saison, RR Row 2 Hill 56 Clone
Kegged: Oktoberfest, Dry Hopped Shed Clone, White House Honey Porter

Old 03-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 577 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 03-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
koopa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'll second Novare Res and the Great Lost Bear. If you are willing to take an hour road trip, Ebeneezer's Pub in Lovell Maine is IMHO the best belgian bar in the country. Having been there, I can't imagine myself ever taking a trip all the way up to Maine again without making a point to get to Ebeneezer's.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:41 AM   #5
Old-Ned
Stew Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm late to the thread. Have you gone yet? If so, what did you find/enjoy?

Quick Reply