Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Portland Area Brewpubs

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
nothreat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Portland Area Brewpubs

I am going to Portland, OR in May to try some sturgeon fishing and would like to hit some brewpubs. I will be in the Oregon City area. What pubs should I not miss? I will be there Tuesday thru Friday so I hope to hit a few. I will have a car so a little traveling won't a problem.

Nothreat
Primary: None
Secondary: None
On Deck: Amarillo Wheat, Summit Rye, Basic Pale with Zythos hops, Chocolate PB Porter II
Kegged: Delta pale, Chinook Pale
Bottled: Coconut Porter, Chocolate PB Porter, American Stout, Honey Walnut Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
JoeBronco
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 14

ROGUE!!! One of the best i have been too.

On Deck ______________ Tasty's Brown (Brown with NB)
1st Primary ____________ Sour Pliny
Kegged________________ Sangio.Port Wine
Bottle Ageing __________ Giddy Gremlin, RyIIIPAWhiskey Vanilla Porter (Bottled 4-20)

SILVER - BABO - "Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter"
SILVER - Celebrewtion - "Bourbon Vanilla Porter"
GOLD - BABO - "Hoptop"
SILVER - BABO - "Screaming Cream"
Honorable Mention: (x2) Giddy Gremlin RyIIpa (x1) Pliny The Mexican

Old 01-24-2011, 03:19 AM   #3
AdamPDX
Recipes 

You should definitely check out McMenamins Kennedy School. It's an old school that was converted into a hotel/movie theater/bar/restaurant/cigar lounge/etc. The Boiler Room is a great place for food and beer (their Terminator stout is fantastic). Also, you can roam the halls and explore the school with your drink in hand.

Laurelwood is another favorite of mine. Hopworks, Bridgeport, and Amnesia are all great as well. Widmer is a pretty neat place, too, and their food is fantastic.

Primary: Simcoe/Amarillo IPA, Pumpkin Ale
Secondary:
Bottled: Blueberry Cream Ale
Keg: American Red, English Brown
Up Next: ???

Old 01-24-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
damdaman
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I'm personally not a fan of McMenamins' beer, it's just kind of mediocre. That being said, the buildings they convert to brew pubs are definitely pretty cool. Lucky Lab on 10th and SE Hawthorne is a good one, and I wouldn't miss out on Amnesia in North Portland. Green Dragon in SE Portland is a great beer bar and 1 block away is Cascade Brewpub, which specializes in sour beer.

There's two new brew pubs on NE 28th near Glisan called Migration and Coalition, I've been to both and they're good.

Old 01-24-2011, 03:46 AM   #5
nicadrick
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

+100 on the Green Dragon!

Old 01-24-2011, 04:44 AM   #6
Sedge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damdaman View Post
I'm personally not a fan of McMenamins' beer, it's just kind of mediocre. That being said, the buildings they convert to brew pubs are definitely pretty cool. Lucky Lab on 10th and SE Hawthorne is a good one, and I wouldn't miss out on Amnesia in North Portland. Green Dragon in SE Portland is a great beer bar and 1 block away is Cascade Brewpub, which specializes in sour beer.

There's two new brew pubs on NE 28th near Glisan called Migration and Coalition, I've been to both and they're good.
Normally I'd agree, but having just interned as assistant brewer at a McMenamins in Corvallis I have to say that some of them are cranking out good beer. The recipes may not be awe-inspiring, but if the brewer in the back is worth his salt, the kegs kick quick (yay alliteration).

Fermenting: Flanders Red Ale
Conditioning: Blackberry Mead, Altbier, Cardamom Saison
Kegged: Vanilla Bourbon Porter, Belgian Strong Dark

Old 01-24-2011, 05:03 AM   #7
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Novare Res and Great Lost Bear are the places to hit in the city of Portland, and Ebenezer's nearby is maybe the best beer bar in the US.

But they're all in the better Portland for beer in the US (in Maine), not out on the west cost.

Out west, the Horse Brass and Henry's Tavern, along with the aforementioned Green Dragon, are all great places to get a beer. Avoid Horse Brass on Fri/Sat nights, though--it turns into more of a meat market. On quieter nights it's a good bar, though.

Cascade Brewing Barrel House is pretty good, too--nowhere in Oregon (or the west coast in general) comes close to Ebenezer's, Monk's Cafe, or some of the other great east coast Belgian bars (Max's in MD, Thirsty Monk in NC) for general lambics/sours/etc (or even for more general Belgians). Cascade's about as good as you'll get on the west coast short of the in-brewery bars at places like Lost Abbey and Russian River--those in-brewery places beat the pants off the east coast ones when it comes to their own beers, and Allagash is the only east-coast place producing any real wild ales on the scope of what the best west coast places are doing.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 01-24-2011, 05:38 AM   #8
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would definitely hit the deschutes portland pub.. fantastic food, and fantastic beers. They have the standard 6 which they distribute, but also some pub exclusives, cask conditioned ales, and seasonals... all in all, my far and away favorite.

Ill second mcmenamins, but only for the awesome restorations they provide to their buildings.. and the awesome ambiance.. there are many places with better beer (although I will say that their isnt terrible).

Ive also heard good things about green dragon, and its got a lot of variety.

Upright brewing is a small operation, but they make some great stuff, and their tasting room is in their brewery.. like you can sit on the steps to the control panel. Kinda fun. Check the website though cause they have limited hours.

The other place thats fairly new (as a tasting room anyway), is Hair of The Dog-- great beer, limited food (appetizers only).

Other places worth mention are hopworks, laurelwood, new/old lompoc, and rogue is an iconic place to stop (id rather go to deschutes).

oh.. and I also second cascade barrel house.

anyway, as you can see.. there are many. Have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Old 01-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #9
YNOT2K
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 14

don't forget Ninkasi in Eugene...mmmm

Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Portland has some of the best brewpubs in the country (probably in the world too).

Brewpubs:
All 3 Lucky Labrador are top notch and very cool places (my preference goes to the one on Hawthorn).
Deschutes and Rogue downtown are fine, but they are more mainstream than the other smaller bp's.
Widmer across the river is always an interesting place to visit.
New Old Lompoc has a decent selection
Hopworks is nice too, very decent beers.

Beer bars:
Green Dragon is decent
Horse Brass always has an impressive selection of IPA's and numerous others.
Prost! is a cool German place
Gustav's has my vote for the best German food in town (decent beers too).

Places I don't go:
Amnesia, while it's cool and quirky, doesn't appeal to me with their murky beers.
McMenamin's ... I've never cared for their beers.
Alameda: Not really much to brag about.

Quick Reply