Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Portland, OR...(Advice)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Hawgbranch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Portland, OR...(Advice)

Looks like like we finally get out first "Beer" vacation. We have decided to spend 4 days in Portland, OR. NO rental car, just checkin out the city and the beer. I got the flights figured out now I just need a hotel and I want to try and land somewhere close to pub crawling territory.
Any hints or clues?

On Tap: - Backwater IPA
Carboy 1: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA
Carboy 2: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What's your price range for hotels? The whole region is pub crawling territory, but did you have some breweries you were more interested in seeing than others?

Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #3
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgbranch View Post
Looks like like we finally get out first "Beer" vacation. We have decided to spend 4 days in Portland, OR. NO rental car, just checkin out the city and the beer. I got the flights figured out now I just need a hotel and I want to try and land somewhere close to pub crawling territory.
Any hints or clues?
it's been a while since I've been there but there are some nice hotels right in the center of town. Try to make to Henry's if you can. It's the the old Weinhardts brewery converted into a Restaurant. They have a great bar with at least 50 beers on tap. I was working while was up there, so I didn't get to know it too well. Portland was a fun place to be.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
BeerMeChasay
Recipes 

You can get most places pretty easily by the Max that runs through town. Are you more interesting in pubs, bars or breweries to visit because there are plenty everywhere. If i know where you are staying I could probably help you out more.

Andy Bernard: Will you beer me that disc?

Planning: Weisse or Flavored Wheat
Fermenting: Modified Mack and Jacks Clone Recipe
Bottled: Lacee's Golden Pale Ale, Yooper's DFH 60 Min IPA

Old 01-30-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Brewme
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would highly recomend the brew bus! brewbus.com I belive is the website. It was a great way to take a brwery tour (we did Bridgeport) and try several different brew pubs without driving. Also, a must go is the Horse Brass Pub. LOTS of beers on tap and in the bottles; great place! Have fun!

Got Twitter? If you want to follow me, my name is Brewme_slc

"Women and wine, game and deceit, make the wealth small and the wants great."
-That famous kite guy

Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #6
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Deschutes brewpub and Bridgeport!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
svudah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you want to save money you can stay at the Mcmenamins White Eagle pub. It's an "European" style hotel, so they have small rooms and shared bathrooms. But, its clean, cheap (45 dollars a night), above a brewpub (well they don't actually brew at this location), across the street from the Widmer brewery, and two blocks from the MAX that can take you everywhere else. Also, the building is supposedly haunted as it was the sight of lots of shanghaiing around the turn of the century.

If money is less of an issue and you want more of a full service hotel. McMenamins Kennedy School is a very cool spot, nothing like a Turkish Spa first thing in the morning to cure a hang over.

+ on Deschutes and Bridgeport, Horsebrass is great, but I haven't been there since Oregon banned smoking indoors and can't imagine that place sans the cloud of smoke. The Hopworks Urban Brewery gets a ton of great reviews and Amnesia has an amazing Chinook, Amarillo IPA.

Also, Portland is a very wired city with free wifi almost anywhere. When in doubt, bring a laptop and just jump on Yelp and search for bars, breweries, restaurants, whatever... it never fails.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
krik
Recipes 

while there are some good places in Portland West of the river, I would try to get a place to stay on the East side of the river. There is a motel on Powell that is not too far from Hopworks that would be an okay central point and has easy access to get to the west side. You can also check out Trimet.org for bus and MAX schedules, once you do get downtown that will all be free. If you aren't looking for a "sexy" vacation you can stay at the Hawthorne Hostel, which will be within walking distance of the Bridgeport Brewpub, Lucky Lab, Roots, etc.

I personally enjoy Amnesia and Roots the best but if you have a day to take a day-trip checking out Double Mountain in Hood River (slightly over an hour drive but you can the "scenic columbia gorge highway" out there for a longer, more scenic drive).

Old 01-31-2009, 12:26 AM   #9
Hawgbranch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Geez, great information!
We just want to sample the local craft beers and a good brewery tour. Of course I will take the SWMBO somewhere nice one evening while we are there. Downtown sounds pretty good. The trip up the "Gorge Highway" sounds great too.

On Tap: - Backwater IPA
Carboy 1: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA
Carboy 2: - Sable Tooth Tiger CDA

Old 01-31-2009, 03:51 AM   #10
BeerMeChasay
Recipes 

+1 for Hopworks. Have been there and had a really good time. Good food, nice place and great beers. Laurelwood has some good beers as well. If you go to a pub I would try to get some Ninkasi Brewing Company beers (Total Domination IPA or Tricerahops) some of my favorites from an up and coming brewery out of Eugene. Also Belmont Station has a good selection of bottles and a biercafe.

Andy Bernard: Will you beer me that disc?

Planning: Weisse or Flavored Wheat
Fermenting: Modified Mack and Jacks Clone Recipe
Bottled: Lacee's Golden Pale Ale, Yooper's DFH 60 Min IPA

Quick Reply