LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 AM   #21
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I like Steinbart's, and their roller mill for base malts gives me good efficiency. Good selection of grain, hops, and yeast.
I've never gotten any attitude from anyone who works there, and my wife has bought stuff for me with no trouble, despite not knowing a thing about brewing or equipment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 04:01 AM   #22
Boy
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I'm up at Hood otherwise I would be hitting up both brew brothers and main street. However there is a new SMALL shop in Sandy called the Beer Den. Cheaper than Steinbart's but way less selection. Really great about special ordering since he doesn't have a huge selection setup yet.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #23
zymurgency
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupjojo View Post
Do you know exactly why they fired that guy? I do, and I would have continued to kick him to the curb. Sharons run that buisness for over 12 years and has done well. a little cluttered and her prices are funny on some things but she will work with you if you on them if you notice them to high. She has good basic knowledge and I think its up to you to figure more complex things out for yourself. Above The Rest Homebrewing in Tigard is a decent place to get stuff.
I am that guy, and I'll tell you exactly why they fired me. I was helping a very good friend of mine start Portland U-Brew & Pub while working for ATR. She was very personally offended about that fact. I came in on new years eve day, worked all day, and then her husband fired me out of the blue. I was never hired on as an actual employee (even though I worked there for a year and a half) thus they screwed me out of any benefits I would have been entitled to. Anyone who would fire someone who cared so much about not only their business, but their customers and the owners is a fool(including you shutupjojo). She has almost no basic knowledge of brewing which is absurd seeing that she's been doing this so long, and I have no idea how she has stayed in business by boldfaced lying to customers and giving them wrong information. Yes, some things you must learn on your own, but if the knowledge you've been given from the beginning is wrong then she has made it that much harder for you. For example a guy called asking the alpha of our centennial hops. She said "They are 11.1% alpha, and it's a 2 ounce package so the alpha is 22.2%." When I told her it was wrong she just argued with me. Her husband pulled me aside one day, and asked about the situation. When I told him the story he said to me EXACTLY this, "If someone calls and asks a question and she gives them a wrong answer it's ok because they don't know the right answer and they don't know they're getting wrong information." I could not believe what I was hearing! That's no way to treat customers.
Cheers,
Aaron Gillham
Portland U-Brew & Pub
Old 07-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
robtotten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Oh, snap!

if god wanted us to drink beer, she would have given us stomachs