Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Portland, OR

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #11
syblue
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

There is a small shop in North Portland called Homebrew Exchange. They have fair prices not an giant selection, but they are open Sundays and are very friendly and helpful even when I have my 4 year old son running laps in the store.
Plus they carry cheese making supllies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 03:11 PM   #12
shutupjojo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by step View Post
Please please please do not go to Above the Rest in Tigard. They fired the only person there that actually knew anything, their prices are all over the map and none of them make sense, and their mill is truly a piece of crap.

I like Steinbart but yes they can make you feel awkward at times.

Keep your eyes out for a new shop in Sellwood. I believe the are calling it Portland-U-Brew (PUB) and they were trying to open in Feb. We'll see...

Heard lots of good things about Brew Brothers.

Good luck and welcome!
Do you know exactly why they fired that guy? I do, and I would have continued to kick him to the curb. Sharons run that buisness for over 12 years and has done well. a little cluttered and her prices are funny on some things but she will work with you if you on them if you notice them to high. She has good basic knowledge and I think its up to you to figure more complex things out for yourself. Above The Rest Homebrewing in Tigard is a decent place to get stuff.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
shutupjojo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by step View Post
Please please please do not go to Above the Rest in Tigard. They fired the only person there that actually knew anything, their prices are all over the map and none of them make sense, and their mill is truly a piece of crap.

I like Steinbart but yes they can make you feel awkward at times.

Keep your eyes out for a new shop in Sellwood. I believe the are calling it Portland-U-Brew (PUB) and they were trying to open in Feb. We'll see...

Heard lots of good things about Brew Brothers.

Good luck and welcome!
Oh yea, and most shops mills are crap. Go buy one man.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I started going to Brew Brothers when they sold from out of their home garage. Now they are in a small warehouse space and they are friendly, have great prices, remember my name, will pretty much stock anything that you request they keep on hand.

Mainbrew, the dude thinks he knows everything about brewing and his way is the only way - scientifically proven due to his science background. I visited the new location recently and was shocked at the poor selection of hops. As for the selection of beer, you'll find MUCH more selection @ Johns. I bought my first kegging equipment from them and then when I had a question about it the other owner told me that they never sold that kind of regulator so I didn't buy it from him. Still had my receipt of course and stopped buying from them after that incident.

Above the rest - worst store I've ever been in for beer supplies. Crazy as a loon.

Steinbarts - prices were high, service was good, selection excellent. Service dept for a leaking regulator - the guy told me it didn't leak, he was wrong. But they do have all sorts of parts that you won't find elsewhere locally.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #15
cpirius
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I live in SE and have used Brew Brothers for all my supplies so far. I learned about them from a friend and they have been great.

They will actually deliver to Hopworks Urban Brewery so I don't even have to drive over there. Just add a comment to your order that you want them to deliver to HUB and they will meet you there in the lower parking lot on Thursdays at 12:30pm.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #16
Pondmonkey
Recipes 

Another ++ for Brew Brothers. Best selection and prices around. Don't forget to show them your AHA card for an additional discount.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #17
jkoznek
Recipes 

FH Steinbart can be a little intimidating but have lots of things you cannot find at the other places. If you're in SE Portland there is Lets Brew. The lady there can be a little condescending but after she sees you a few times she lightens up. I like HomeBrew Exchange mainly because I work up in that area. They are not that knowledgeable but they make up for it by being overly nice and open on Sundays.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #18
Thakog
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by syblue View Post
There is a small shop in North Portland called Homebrew Exchange. They have fair prices not an giant selection, but they are open Sundays and are very friendly and helpful even when I have my 4 year old son running laps in the store.
Plus they carry cheese making supllies.
I was hoping someone else would mention HBX. I live across the river in Vancouver, so we often go to Homebrew Exchange. The folks there are really nice, and occasionally they have homebrew exchange parties where you can sample other people's creations. (I think they stopped temporarily, till that OLCC thing gets settled.)

Old 07-05-2011, 01:06 AM   #19
jkoznek
Recipes 

Anyone in the Portland area wanting to hang out and brew some beer let me know. Note me or add me to msn

Old 07-05-2011, 01:45 AM   #20
HItransplant
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I've been to steinbarts a few times and I've never experienced the mistreatment people complain about.

That said, if you go there on a saturday an hour before closing, don't expect them to be available to answer all your questions. (I don't know... That sounds reasonable to me).

That said, I go to mainbrew's new location north of hwy 26...huge selection and its big and open, so I don't get claustrophobic like at steinbart's... The real reason... I can get there on my bike.
Oh...and they have taps and pour samples of local stuff...never a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
It's a gentle recipe, so your first time will be enjoyable and memorable. :D

Quick Reply