Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Portland, OR

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #1
JughedJones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Portland, OR

Hey now!

New to the game, what's the best home brew shop round here?

I'm in the Southeast if there's something specific.

Thanks a lot, I've had a lot of fun on the site so far!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
blu666z
Recipes 

FH Steinbart is going to be the closest to you. I normally go to Brew Brothers or Main Brew's new place off 26, but both of those are on the westside; my neck of the woods.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:00 AM   #3
Brandonchr
Recipes 

Im on the westside too, and I go to Mainbrew. Great selection of ingredients and botteled beer.

Welcome

Old 01-28-2011, 03:11 AM   #4
YouHadMeAtASL
Recipes 

I agree with FH Steinbart, especially if you are in SE. Just beware, if you are new and have a few questions, you may get a little attitude. Overall though, it's a great store. Some of the guys there have been super helpful, some, on the other hand, have made me feel very awkward about being green.

http://www.fhsteinbart.com/index.php

Strange hours also. I would think they'd want to be open all Sat/Sun. But they close at 1pm Saturday and are closed on Sundays. I live in NW and literally walk over there Saturday mornings. Good stroll before a big brew day.

Last edited by YouHadMeAtASL; 01-28-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:35 AM   #5
kmk1012
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like F H Steinbart too! But for great service and generally better prices go to the Main St Brewing in Hillsboro (The warehouse location) they are very freindly, open Sundays, and have a VERY good selection of refridgerated import/micro beer selection. I'm talking 75 cents for a pound of malt grains! (Imports are a little more obviously)

Old 01-28-2011, 03:43 AM   #6
shamrockdoc
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

FH Steinbarts is the best for your area. If you wanna travel Brew Brothers in Hillsboro AND! Above the Rest in Tigard...thasss riiight Tigard!

KEGGED: MK Ultra Cascadian Dark Ale, 10 & Everett Wit

If you're in trouble, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....Then maybe you can hire.... THE A TEAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I certainly hope they won't give me a hand job to see if I have a bomb tied to my junk .

Old 01-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #7
trigger
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I vote against Steinbart's. Last time I was there they were scary expensive, the employees seemed bothered when I asked for a couple items that were behind the counter, and the serve yourself grain area was a disaster. I really feel like the only reason people go there is momentum. Oh yea, and if you want carafa you can choose from... carafa. No special, let alone the 3 different varieties of each. Same story with caramunich. And they don't put the maltster on the bin labels. And they don't carry multiple maltsters in the specialty grains. And I could go on.

It's very much worth the drive to go to Brew Brothers. They're incredibly helpful, and have great prices. Also, they have an enormous grain and hop selection, and they'll never have a problem opening a bag or packaging some hops for you. They run brew demos on Sat and Sun, so it's a great time to go hang out and see the process or ask for tips. They also make deliveries around town, so you can call or place an internet order and pick it up somewhere closer to home. Check their website for the info.

Main St. is ok too, but they were more limited on grains and less helpful than BB the couple times I went out there.

BTW, I'm in no way affiliated with BB other than being a very satisfied customer. They're just my favorite, so I gotta give them some big props and keep them in business.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
step
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Please please please do not go to Above the Rest in Tigard. They fired the only person there that actually knew anything, their prices are all over the map and none of them make sense, and their mill is truly a piece of crap.

I like Steinbart but yes they can make you feel awkward at times.

Keep your eyes out for a new shop in Sellwood. I believe the are calling it Portland-U-Brew (PUB) and they were trying to open in Feb. We'll see...

Heard lots of good things about Brew Brothers.

Good luck and welcome!

Old 01-28-2011, 05:46 AM   #9
kmk1012
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I haven't been to Brew Brothers but, after reading the other responses I will be going soon! So they are open on Sundays too? That is my best day to buy/brew.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 AM   #10
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Steinbart's.

And join the Oregon Brew Crew. Go to some meetings, drink others homebrew, bring your own, talk about beer, learn from other homebrewers and pros as well. Great fun. I miss it (I lived there 9 years).

Quick Reply