Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > PortaKeg trying to get starting money

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
JonnySax
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default PortaKeg trying to get starting money

This product looks like it will be sweet! http://www.indiegogo.com/portakeg
These guys are from my area and came up with this idea... they just need the funds to buy the molds. Please help out if you can... I would love to take my home brew kegs to parties in this!

Keg 1: air
Keg 2: Nut Brown
On Deck: Jasmine Blonde Ale, Belgian Citrus Pale Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 376 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 20

It's kinda already been done, except these guys added a thermoelectric element to the unit:

http://www.beercooler.com/

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - EMPTY!
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Cherry Wood Smoked Cider
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 08-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Their project lists the $500 donation range as being what you need to get the "portakeg", and that's $100 less than retail.

$600 for a cooler with a paintball serving kit installed?

Yikes.

Old 08-17-2012, 11:53 PM   #4
PortaBeer
Recipes 

@JonnySax Thanks for posting about us!!

@TopherM We saw that product when we first were looking for portable draft beer systems three years ago. However, there were a couple of things that didn't work for what we had hoped to find: 1) it didn't have wheels that could easily go over pavement or gravel; 2) it used a standard metal tower that we didn't think would survive travel; and 3) we couldn't actually buy one (as you can see, there's nowhere at their site to purchase, best I can find is a used one on eBay for $400). We've spoken with individuals in the industry, from marketing executives to microbreweries about what they need in a design and have integrated those features in the PortaKeg. As a result, we have a patent-pending cooler design that, we think, is the most user-friendly (and attractive) system available.

@Raenon Obviously, we're hoping for reactions other than "Yikes." What are your concerns? Why doesn't that seem to be reasonable given other portable systems available (the only two options we have found are a trash can strapped to a dolly for $925 [http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...PK-DA-CH.html] and the complete SuperCooler system, which isn't able to be transported in as many areas, for $860 [http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-...3026A1.html])? We've attempted to build an easy-to-use system with a CO2 source that is more accessible for consumers than the other options we've seen (i.e. can be refilled at sporting goods stores as opposed to expensive single-use cartridges or larger CO2 tanks that have to be specially filled).

Your feedback is incredibly important to what we choose to do moving forward. We try to integrate suggestions from many areas into our design to make it functional for consumers and commercial users alike. If you have any thoughts, either reply here or feel free to email me personally at albert@portabeer.com.

Thanks,
Albert

Old 08-18-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 911 Times on 606 Posts
Likes Given: 26

What I find odd about all these begging plans is that none of them offer a real investment. If the product or project had real potential, people would be willing to invest for a chance at a return on the investment.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?
evrose Likes This 
Old 08-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
heferly
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm not sure how you personally started up, bobby, but I would think a small venture like this would lack any investment opportunity...please correct me if I'm wrong! And give this guy some pointers !

Neutral disclosure, bobby, your site is referenced on my upcoming bday list

Old 08-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortaBeer View Post

@Raenon Obviously, we're hoping for reactions other than "Yikes." What are your concerns?
maybe as a curiosity or targeted to a different audience, but here with brewers, many are at the top of their game with DIY equipment.

"$600 for a cooler with a paintball serving kit installed?

Yikes. "

is the expected and reasonable response.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_m
what i find odd about all these begging plans is that none of them offer a real investment. If the product or project had real potential, people would be willing to invest for a chance at a return on the investment.
+1

Old 08-18-2012, 02:39 AM   #9
PortaBeer
Recipes 

Thank you all for thoughts/feedback.

I'd certainly be willing to engage in a conversation about crowdfunding, but it's probably not appropriate on this forum. I can say that it has its strengths and weaknesses and, from what I can tell, will be a net-positive for us regardless of whether we hit the number.

@amandabab That's a fair point. We're home brewers and are fans of a wide variety of beers. We looked at many of the DIY systems available and didn't see anything that we thought was a particularly elegant solution to remote draft dispensing. We decided to take a chance on designing something ourselves to combine our love of good draft beer with our love of tailgating and camping. It was only after we had positive feedback from other tailgaters, breweries, and others that we decided to try to make the project into a company.

Once again, I appreciate the interest and passion on the subject. Feedback is always welcome.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #10
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

It seems like a great design. While $600 seems like a lot for a homebrewer, I'm sure beer distibutors and bars would have no problem shelling out that kind of money.

Quick Reply