The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pliny The Younger Coming Soon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #31
nateburn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I went last Thursday. Waited 2.5 hours and got in at about 330. They didn't run out until about 7. Needless to say I had already had my fair share. I think thus year's batch is amazing. It's so well balanced.

I saw Vinny roaming around do I went to say hi. He thought it was their best batch yet, he thought it was because they were sourcing great hops.

image-1862272843.jpg

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02 AM   #32
jmadway
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Next year, I recommend heading to the Double IPA Fest at The Bistro in Hayward. This year they had Younger available for much of the afternoon, as well as many other double and triple IPAs that certainly rival the great one. What a day it was, although I don't remember how it ended.

Old 02-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #33
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Went back again today.. dang this is a great 'vintage" Today was more than the one hour last week.. it was a bit over 2 hrs. Had three glasses.. OMGosh.. I absolutely love this brew.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #34
Proboscidea
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 87

We went there yesterday (Monday). Arrived at 10:45 and the line went all the way down the block. However, once the place opened, about half the line disappeared, and was only a 1-hour wait after that. They let patrons drink as much Pliny the Younger as desired. We stayed for a couple hours and the beer poured freely. The staff seemed to be handling the chaos with grace and patience. Yay them. I imagine it's both a stressful and happy two weeks for them.

My first impression of The Younger was "peaches" followed by "flowery hops." Smooth as velvet. You'd never know it was 10.5% ABV. I would give it 4.99999999 stars out of 5. The 0.00000001 star deduction can be summed up as, "Thanks a lot for ruining every other beer for me for the rest of my life."

Speaking of non-cloying peachiness: I know (do I know? maybe not. I ... "speculate" then) they probably don't use the proprietary Persica yeast in it, which is supposed to lend peach/apricot notes. However, as a side-digression completely unrelated to Pliny the Younger, the trip inspired me to do a batch with Persica and see what comes out.

Fermenting:
CellarCraft Sterling Collection Barbera (kit) -- first entrée into grape wines

Bottled recently:
Ginger mead (3gal), EdWort's Apfelwein (3gal)

Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #35
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

We went Sunday morning. Got in line around 8:45-9:00. By 9:30 the line had turned the corner around D Street. We (barely) made it in the door with the initial group, so I had a Younger in my hand at 11:00. Took around 1hr to get a table, but we had an awesome time. The staff does a fantastic job, and everyone is in a great mood. The vibe in that place is something special.

Pretty spectacular IPA. Was it worth the 2hr wait? I don't know. Is any beer? But this was definitely one of the best I've ever had, and I can cross it off the bucket list.

I brewed a clone last spring, and while pretty close, I think I've got a damn good idea what to tweak.

img_3815.jpg  
Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #36
HopSong

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Talked to a few friends who have been doing this longer than myself.. All agreed that this is the best year so far. Best in my shorter experience

Old 02-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #37
geer537
I'm a member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Next year I'll post before heading down there. It's now an annual trip for the wife and I. We had such a great time in line last year we went back. The line does suck but it sure helps to make friends in line. We were 5th in line on Saturday Feb 2nd morning. RR opened early at 10:30 to let us in and we were there for 6 hours! Last year's younger was a bit hot but this year's was amazing. Anyone there early on the second?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #38
Jukas
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I was trying to get a buddy to go with me tomorrow midday, but he's going to be in Reno with his wife. I'm still debating going, though I don't much care to drink alone. Any HBT'rs going in the few days?

Old 02-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #39
cjb
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anybody heard anything about availability outside of Santa Rosa? Seems like it should be showing up soon at the places that are lucky enough to get a keg. I missed it last year, planning to try again...

Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #40
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb View Post
Anybody heard anything about availability outside of Santa Rosa? Seems like it should be showing up soon at the places that are lucky enough to get a keg. I missed it last year, planning to try again...
A number of kegs have been tapped (and drained) in the bay area already. I'd expect a few kegs to make their way up to Portland soon. You might want to 'like' the local bars that get RR beers on Facebook, as a lot of those places only announce tappings there.

I heard they brewed more this year than any year prior, but there were also 8hr lines at the brewery, so who knows?

Quick Reply