Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pliny Substitute

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #41
sea1961
www.wildhossbrewing.com
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's what make being an American Great! Everyone can have an opinion! Pliny is one of the best beer ever made and Hopslam is also very close (with a sweeter and more liquor taste) but Pliny the Younger will kick both their butt's......Just saying!!!!! Don't knock Pliny just because your not a Hop Hound.........

Cheers!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #42
Metallion66
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm definitely a hop-head. IPA's are my favorite style of brew. It was just my opinion that other IPA's and DIPA's are better. But I am very excited to brew that Pliny clone. I'm not arguing with you or anything by the way. Just wanted to make it clear my opinion is coming from a hop head, not someone who primarily prefers Stouts and Porters.

Also I haven't had the pleasure of trying Pliny the Younger. Something to look forward to whenever I can get my hands on one.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #43
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallion66 View Post
I ran into another homebrewer at a local craft beer bar that told me more about Pliny. When I told him how underwhelmed I had been, he told me the reason was that due to the recent hop shortage, they started substituting with Hop Extract, which changed the flavor from what it originally was.
Miss Information strikes again.

Your friend is half right. They use Hop extract in the 90 minute addition and the 45 minute addition. All the other additions are pellet hops. They do this for increased yield, and for a smoother bitterness, and to cut down on the vegatal note you can get. They've been doing it for years that way.

The beer isn't any less 'good' because they're using hop extract.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #44
Metallion66
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland View Post
Miss Information strikes again.

Your friend is half right. They use Hop extract in the 90 minute addition and the 45 minute addition. All the other additions are pellet hops. They do this for increased yield, and for a smoother bitterness, and to cut down on the vegatal note you can get. They've been doing it for years that way.

The beer isn't any less 'good' because they're using hop extract.
Interesting. As I mentioned I wasn't sure how accurate what that guy said was. Good to know. I was just reading up on Pliny the Younger, and it sounds pretty damn tasty. I need to get my hands on one for sure.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 PM   #45
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I bought Hop Stoopid last night. Unfortunately, my nose was stuffy so I literally couldn't smell a thing and could barely taste it. Fortunately,my buddy was here telling me how amazing it was. I'll be getting it again. I was so frustrated.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #46
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Never had PtE, should be getting a bottle from CA here in the next couple of weeks.

I've had the Hopslam, and that was pretty damn good, but I still think Hopstoopid was better, and I'm a big fan of Hercules DIPA from Great Divide. Those guys in CO know how to brew solid beers.

Again, never had PtE, so cannot say if they are close to the Elder's taste.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #47
gstrawn
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Stone ruination is awesome, and if purchased near packaging date it's awesome. I've never had a Pliny but I can't imagine ruination not comparing well. It's super bitter, super citrusy hoppy floral.... Awesome. I'll be brewing yoopers clone coming up soon.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:53 AM   #48
Apendecto
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallion66 View Post
I personally didn't think Pliny lived up to the hype when I tried it. I mean, it was good no doubt. But it wasn't the best I've tried in my opinion.
I'm with you. I thought Blind Pig was much better.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:56 AM   #49
Montanaandy
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Have commented on PTE on previous threads having had it many, many times both on tap and in bottles. Great beer, no doubt but THE best IIPA IMHO is Mycrenary out of O'Dells brewery in Ft Collins CO. Sublime.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #50
Srceenplay
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

As to this post, I went to the store tonight to see if they had hop stoopid. In luck they were just able to acquire it and got it in today!! Lucky me.

Good IPA. It's been some time since I had Pliny but from what I can remember this might be close. I would be curious to try a side by side tasting. Unfortunately I live in Kansas and can't get Pliny.

Quick Reply