Pliny the Elder - Delivered to Your Door

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea mine had " Package contains alcohol" all over the box. I was surprised that they could ship it as well since if you go into USPS, FedEx or UPS and tell them your shipping beer they will say no and my box was covered in warning stickers saying what’s inside. But hey who cares it arrived didn’t it!

I am shocked! Why not just brew your own instead of paying so much per bottle after shipping? Frankly, I don't think Pliny is worth 6-7 bucks a bottle. Sorry, don't mean to sound disrespectful of folks that do love it, and I will admit that I am currently waiting to keg a clone of it.

On the other hand, Russian River's Blind Pig, now that is a great beer, much better in my opinion than Pliny!

So, my overall question is this, is it hard to match the original with a clone recipe? I am hoping that my Pliny Clone will taste better than the original. Even if it is close, I will be happy.

I am shocked! Why not just brew your own instead of paying so much per bottle after shipping? Frankly, I don't think Pliny is worth 6-7 bucks a bottle. Sorry, don't mean to sound disrespectful of folks that do love it, and I will admit that I am currently waiting to keg a clone of it.

On the other hand, Russian River's Blind Pig, now that is a great beer, much better in my opinion than Pliny!

So, my overall question is this, is it hard to match the original with a clone recipe? I am hoping that my Pliny Clone will taste better than the original. Even if it is close, I will be happy.

I recently did the AHS clone recipe and a friend in CA sent me some bottles of Pliny. I liked my homebrew better as it had a more floral citrus flavor from the super fresh hops. Now in the Pliny's defense the brew was almost six months old so if the time drastically changes the hop profile of Pliny which I assume it does I still have to try a relatively fresh bottle. As it stood my super fresh clone vs the 6 month old Pliny mine won. The friend that send the Pliny to me also got a couple bottles of my clone and commented about how good it was.

I think it's hard to match it because I do believe Pliny uses hop extract which I'd like to play with. So using leaf/pellets will certainly change the flavor profile vs extract.

So far, my two favorite hoppy beers are 1.) Sculpin IPA, and 2.) Blind Pig IPA, in that order.

Last weekend I had Pliny and Stone's Ruination IPA, and I was a bit disappointed, mainly due to the high bitterness. Thier hop profile doesn't really impress me that much. Stone's regular IPA is a very very balanced beer, which I prefer more than the Ruination.

I also tried Green Flash Brewery's IPA, and it was very bitter, although tasty, and much cheaper than Ruination. They are very similar.

The Dog Fish Head 60 min IPA reminded me of my last brew, but mine was better. It was 4.50 for a 12 oz bottle, ouch!

I think my next brew will be the BLind Pig clone from MoreBeer.

Back