Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Beer Discussion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/)
-   -   Pliny clone - More Beer vs. AHS? (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/pliny-clone-more-beer-vs-ahs-225782/)

MaxSpang 02-16-2011 05:59 PM

Pliny clone - More Beer vs. AHS?
 
So right now, both Austin Home Brew and More Beer have Pliny the Elder extract kits. I searched on here and didn't find anything, so sorry if this has been discussed (i'm sure it has).

Which one is better? Has anyone brewed both? I'm talking specifically about the extract kits.

Here's the Austin kit:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=11675&osCsid=fa632660 cd1d56879400b0fad80679df

Here's the More Beer kit:
https://morebeer.com/view_product/18436

Seven 02-16-2011 06:49 PM

I haven't tried either of these kits so I can't say which is better. If I was going to buy this kit today, however, I would PROBABLY choose the MoreBeer kit because of this statement:

Quote:

This is THE original Pliny recipe, given to us by Vinnie at a talk he did in our showroom some years back and geared for homebrewers. While some of his methods have changed since then, the spirit of this beer hasn't. High bitterness with a dry malt finish combined with an intense hop flavor and aroma.

terrapinj 02-16-2011 06:51 PM

if you search around the recipe from Vinnie is posted in several threads

MaxSpang 02-16-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrapinj
if you search around the recipe from Vinnie is posted in several threads

I'm not really looking for the recipe, just wanting to compare the two kits available.

I'm going to be buying one soon, I'd like to get the best!

I like that AHS has user comments available, all of which are positive. I can't find much feedback on the More Beer kit.

RIT_Warrior 02-16-2011 07:16 PM

Farmhouse brewing supply has a Pliny hop pack for $12.99. The rest can be obtained in normal, non-kit form rather cheaply.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=79

Assuming you do AG, it should cost you $30ish rather than $50 if you go the full kit route.

Indyking 02-16-2011 07:33 PM

Pliny the elder is known as the best beer in the world and it's so simple. The original recipe is out there for a long time. It uses a base of 2-row and some wheat, crystal 40, Carapils, and corn sugar. The most complex thing about it is the hop schedule, which uses massive amounts of high aa hops. I never actually had one but I heard the bitterness is disturbing!

terrapinj 02-16-2011 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxSpang (Post 2652335)
I'm not really looking for the recipe, just wanting to compare the two kits available.

I'm going to be buying one soon, I'd like to get the best!

I like that AHS has user comments available, all of which are positive. I can't find much feedback on the More Beer kit.

right on, just figured if you bought the ingredients per vinnies recipe you know you'd get the closest thing possible

:mug:

MaxSpang 02-16-2011 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrapinj (Post 2652447)
right on, just figured if you bought the ingredients per vinnies recipe you know you'd get the closest thing possible

:mug:

Thanks. I haven't converted to 100% AG yet, and from what I hear the recipe kits (around $60) are pretty close to the cost of the ingredients if I were to get an extract recipe. And according to More Beer, their version is THE recipe.


Quote:

Originally Posted by RIT_Warrior (Post 2652340)
Farmhouse brewing supply has a Pliny hop pack for $12.99. The rest can be obtained in normal, non-kit form rather cheaply.

http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=79

Assuming you do AG, it should cost you $30ish rather than $50 if you go the full kit route.

Thanks! This is good to know

samc 02-16-2011 08:07 PM

I'd be shocked if the MoreBeer kit was the same as the original kit. They frequently sub ingredients as inventory dictates. I'd ask them before buying if that is of concern. It will also not be what RR is bottling at the moment as they keep changing the damn beer.

Of course none of it really matters as it will still be a very hoppy delight.

jkarp 02-16-2011 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxSpang (Post 2652565)
Thanks. I haven't converted to 100% AG yet, and from what I hear the recipe kits (around $60) are pretty close to the cost of the ingredients if I were to get an extract recipe. And according to More Beer, their version is THE recipe.

Well obviously, if you're brewing extract, it isn't THE recipe. I've been to Russian River and I can assure you, there weren't 55 gallon drums of LME about. :p

I'm sure they're both good approximations (which is all you're ever going to get via extract), so pick whichever is cheaper after shipping.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:16 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.