Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Plight for Pliny

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #1
flatfour64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Plight for Pliny

At long last, I have laid my hands on two bottles of Pliny the Elder.

My wife was in California last week and was able to nab this elusive beast. I had called around out there and a few specialty shops said they did not receive thier shipment that week, and were all out. I was fearing that this trip would leave me empty handed yet again. Then, one helpful shop keep understood my plight for Pliny.

You see, I live in the northeast and this beer is just not available to me. I was in Philly last year and tried to get a pint at several tap rooms that carried it, but it just so happened they were out when I was there. I had arranged a swap with a friend of mine out in CA, but when he learned how good it was and how hard it was to get, well, I guess that is as far as our friendship went. I brewed the 6 gallon homebrew version put out by Vinny at RR, and it was the best IIPA I had ever made at the time. This only intensified my desire to try the real thing.

So this helpful shop keep told me that the Whole Foods down the road usually has it in stock because they don't put it on the shelf, you have to ask for it by name. However, he says, they have a strict one per customer policy. So my wife goes in there and was able to sweet talk her way into buying two of the six they had in stock!!! I'm not sure what she did in that back room... but thank you my dear!

Last night when she got home, she pulled a paper bag from her luggage with two well wrapped bottles in it. I opened the top of the bag and saw two caps the read Russian River.... chills I tell you, chills. What a fine looking bottle it is, like artwork. I placed them into the fridge and will drink one tonight after work... at long last.

I would offer to sell one of the bottles to someone out here on the east coast, but that is just not going to happen! Anyone else share in my plight?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The last two times I was in Orange County I tried to get my hands on a bottle, but it was sold out like everywhere. I did try some Bootlegger's Knuckle Sandwhich, which was amazing. Highly recommend it if you can find it.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Being in NH, I never see it and just can't jump through the hoops to get it. I figure someday I'll get it but for now I will have to be satisfied with the homebrew version.

I'll be curious to see you thoughts on how close your homebrew version was to the real thing.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 08-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
asidrane
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I'm going to LA in the end of September, I'm going to try and pick up as much as I can. What other brews should I checkout that I can't easily find in NY? Thanks.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 174 Times on 140 Posts
Likes Given: 92

it's impossible to get ahold of mostly unless you know when the shipments are about to take place.
It is amazing, and even more so on draft

Coming up Cream ale - Bitter - Porter
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 08-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
GySgtLynn
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Everytime I go to the Stone Brewery in Escondido, Ca. I have some Pliny the Elder on tap... Man that stuff is awesome.

Liquid Medication Brewery

Primary: Pale Ale

Secondary: None

Bottled: None

Keg: Chipotle Stout

Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
JonK331
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I don't mean to be a jerk but I can get it anytime I want. I can even get it on tap.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

It's always on tap at several places around Los Angeles, so I don't really think about it being one of those sought-after things.

Bottles are actually a bit harder to come by. The aforementioned Whole Foods usually does have it in the back room, and I know a couple of bottle shops in the area that always have it, and a couple more that have it sometimes but not always.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #9
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If only you could try Pliny the Younger! If you think the Elder is good, you should taste Younger. It really is that good. Too bad they don't sell it outside of their Brewpub and a few select Bars. It is only available for 2 weeks.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
flatfour64
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yes, I know about the Younger. This one is so elusive that I have accepted the fact that unless I get to visit RR one day in February, I will never taste of its nectar. It would be nice to find a homebrew recipe for this one though!

Quick Reply