Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Plastic or Glass

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #11
TwoGunz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I used glass for a few years, shattered one and got real nervous seeing the shards and always carrying them up and down my basement stairs so I switched to plastic carboys (not buckets) with brew hauler strap and I love em

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #12
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I broke my first Glass Carboy a month ago. I didn't drop it, I didn't hit it hard or anything. I had about a gallon of star-san in it and had it in a carboy hauler and set it down gingerly on my back patio, I guess at a bad angle and it broke and long sharp shards of glass were all over. Thankfully I didn't hurt myself.

Two weekends ago I was in Boston and was served a pint glass which had a crack in it. It broke in my hand and I got 14 stitches in my finger. If a pint glass did that to my finger, I couldn't imagine what a full carboy would do to me.

Im all plastic all the way now.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #13
Zamial
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I have 3 glass carboys, 5 stainless steel kegs and 3 buckets. I prefer stainless steel kegs.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #14
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I use the search function, and a mix of better bottles, 5gal water coolers, and borosilicate glass carboys.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #15
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 366 Times on 299 Posts
Likes Given: 115

95% plastic. 5%. glass...

Given the choice... Plastic.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:03 AM   #16
xdalisx
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I have 2 glass carboys, but will probably try a better bottle next time I purchase a fermentor. Or if one shatters on me.

On Deck Pale Test Recipe
Fermenting Nothing :(
Kegged Parvulus Amber Ale
Kegged Magnirostris IPA

Old 09-11-2012, 01:04 AM   #17
el_horno
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I use glass as I don't have far to travel with it. Should that change. Plastic.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:00 AM   #18
craigevo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Extremely unpopular I gather, but I vote for Stainless steel stock pots. If your not bothered about an airlock they are great. cheap, almost indistructable, last a lifetime, boilable, scrubable, droppable -havent tried this so far but if one dents you can go back to the first point - cheap enough to replace if dropped. You can get any size imaginable, many aspect ratios to fit your fermenter area/fridge. they have welded on handles so you wont drop them anyway. you can whip off the lid and skim yeast or add dry hops really easy. You can drill a hole and add a spigot.

I added a spigot and now can use it for a temporary HLT store since my kettle doubles as a HLT and I need storage in another vessel whilst i'm pumping first runnings into the kettle. I have a quick connect on it the same as for my kettle and mash tun spigot, so when the boil has finished I can simply drain from kettle to fermenter via spigots and keep my fermenter lid on.

Only downside, no airlock - although you may be able to manufacture some kind of gasket for the lid and drill a hole in the lid for an airlock. I dont bother for primary.
You cant see the wort fermenting. I have seen it before in glass carboys and now its not as interesting to me. I can gauge activity by lifting the lid a bit.

Forgot to mention, very light weight if you get thin walled/base ones. slightly lighter than glass I would think.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
BassBeer
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Buckets and Better Bottles here!

Old 09-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #20
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigevo View Post
Extremely unpopular I gather, but I vote for Stainless steel stock pots. If your not bothered about an airlock they are great. cheap, almost indistructable, last a lifetime, boilable, scrubable, droppable -havent tried this so far but if one dents you can go back to the first point - cheap enough to replace if dropped. You can get any size imaginable, many aspect ratios to fit your fermenter area/fridge. they have welded on handles so you wont drop them anyway. you can whip off the lid and skim yeast or add dry hops really easy. You can drill a hole and add a spigot.

I added a spigot and now can use it for a temporary HLT store since my kettle doubles as a HLT and I need storage in another vessel whilst i'm pumping first runnings into the kettle. I have a quick connect on it the same as for my kettle and mash tun spigot, so when the boil has finished I can simply drain from kettle to fermenter via spigots and keep my fermenter lid on.

Only downside, no airlock - although you may be able to manufacture some kind of gasket for the lid and drill a hole in the lid for an airlock. I dont bother for primary.
You cant see the wort fermenting. I have seen it before in glass carboys and now its not as interesting to me. I can gauge activity by lifting the lid a bit.

Forgot to mention, very light weight if you get thin walled/base ones. slightly lighter than glass I would think.
I'm sorry....how do you figure they are cheap? They are way more expensive then plastic buckets are just as durable (for things like fermentation).

You still make some great points about SS....cheap they are not.

Quick Reply