Originally Posted by Zamial
The amount of use X crazy radioactive thing to mutate yeast is down right silly. Why not put your starter in the microwave for 2-5 seconds? What doesn't die is going to mutate due to... Microwave radiation.
Nope. Microwave ovens don't really put out the sort of radiation you're thinking of; they put out... wait for it... are you ready... microwaves!!
Back when microwave ovens were brand new, I had an Amana I bought from a couple in the middle of splitting up their property during a divorce (only way I could have afforded one). I reheated a pot of coffee in it one morning and offered some to my neighbor, and she proclaimed, "none for me, thankyouverymuch. Unlike you, I
don't plan to die from radiation poisoning."