New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Planning for an american barley wine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
eppo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Planning for an american barley wine

Going to brew the american barley wine from being classic styles in june. I'm wondering about the yeast, should I brew something that uses wlp001 and use that cake, our just use dry yeast? I will probably enter this in some competitions, and I want to make the beer closest to style.
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
turkeyjerky214
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A lot of people will tell you not to pitch directly onto a yeast cake and that you need to wash your yeast first. I've only brewed one barleywine, but I pitched directly onto an American Amber cake, and it's probably the best beer I've ever brewed.

-Brian

Tap 1: Flanders Brown Tap 2: Pumpkin Ale Tap 3: Rye IPA Tap 4: Wee Heavy Tap 5: Apfelwein

Fermenting: Amber Ale
Kegged: Barrel-Aged Barleywine, Barleywine, RIS,

Lagering: Märzen

Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
eppo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

i plan to wash, but, was hoping to brew a 2.5 gallon batch first, but i think i might have to brew a 5 gallon. was going to stay away from the american amber, because it was more hoppy that brewing, say, a blonde ale. But i do love ambers, so i may brew a 5 gallon batch of amber, and choose something else to do 2.5 gallons.
I have 2 mr beer fermenters that i'm itching to use. (might brew two beers that use WLP001 in the mr beer fermenters, and have plenty of yeast to work with)

Old 04-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #4
drawdy10
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I second the pitching on a cake idea, brewed a pale ale with WLP090 then tossed a 1.085 barley wine on top of it and it is tasting great

Old 04-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #5
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

BW is a beer that can chew up a cake like no other. Make sure you have it temp controlled and enough room in the fermenter to minimize the blow off.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:59 AM   #6
eppo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Think I'm going to bake 2.5 cream ale, 2.5 amber ale. Wash the yeast, and use it for the BW.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
The_General
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've brewed that exact recipe before and pitched directly on about one third of a US-05 cake from 5 gallons of pale ale. It came out very nicely and won a silver in a local competition. Someone else mentioned it already but definitely keep your temps under control. With that much sugar, temps can easily get out of control and give you an ester/fusel alcohol bomb.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Another suggestion that I might make is rousing your yeast into suspension for a few weeks after it visually appears primary fermentation is done. Just lightly swirl your carboys a couple times a day to do this. For my Barleywine I brewed early this year I let fermentation go for a couple of weeks and then roused the yeast for another two and got it down to 1.018.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
cmybeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

I would also do a forced fermentation test to determine your FG. If you have a flask or something for a yeast starter you can use this, otherwise a 20oz bottle should work (just don't seal it), dump in a bunch of yeast and then fill it with enough wort for a couple hydrometer readings. Put it somewhere warm and shake it periodically. It should ferment out all the way in a few days and then you can cold crash it in the fridge and take a hydrometer reading to determine your FG and use that as a reference for the full batch.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I brewed Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde (using US05) and then dumped the Old Monster from BCS on top of that yeast cake. This was about a month ago and I haven't taken a hydrometer reading yet but it seems to have done the job. I've been rousing the yeast every day or so since it dropped. Oh, and I had blowoff like never before.

Quick Reply