Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Places in or near Raleigh, NC?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #11
egravy81
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sorry it's Carolina Brewery & Grill.

~Michael Pollan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 693 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 411

In Raleigh, check out Big Boss Brewing (Great Beer!) or Natty Greens (okay beer, good food!). Lot's of little bars that are also excellent as well. Flying Saucer has a ridiculous variety of beer - pretty much anything you can think of, and servers in short skirts never hurt. For BBQ, The Pit is pretty renowned and is definitely excellent. All these places are literally 5 - 10 minutes away from each other. Enjoy the city, it's a great town.

I would avoid Boylan Bridge. It has the best ambiance and view of the downtown of any restaurant or bar in the Raleigh, but their beer is awful IMO. Each beer tastes exactly the same regardless of style. It's disappointing, because in their location they could really be something special.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
ajwillys
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 34

To be perfectly honest, I live right near Aviator and have only been there twice, the second time was because someone else wanted to go there. The beer there is ok, not great. There are tons of great breweries here and I think all have been mentioned already. I agree with Darwin above for the most part. Natty's has a nice atmosphere for a brewpub, but if the weather's nice, the porch at Boylan's cannot be beat. I also really like FullSteam in Durham. They have a great atmosphere as well and the beer is quite good. I'm not sure if the Summer Basil is out yet, but if it is, its fantastic. Lonerider has fantastic beer as well, but the actual brewery atmosphere is lacking. Is your wife a beer nut also? If not, she would still enjoy most of what I mentioned above except Lonerider.

As for "other related beer places", while your in downtown Raleigh, check out at least one or two of the following:

Restaurants:
The Pit (You asked for good bbg. This place is famous and delicious and in downtown.)
Raleigh Times (excellent rare and exotic beer selection, good food)
Busy Bee (also excellent rare and exotic beer selection)
Flying Saucer (Nice skirts, huge beer selection but only a few "interesting" ones.)
Tylers Taproom (Haven't been to the one downtown yet, but it's always first class in food, atmosphere, and beer selection. The chicken fried chicken is amazing.)

Bottle Shops:
Tasty Beverage
Peace Street Market
Sam's Quik Shop (if you go to Durham)

If you haven't already, check out beermapping. It lists just about everything Raleigh has to offer in the way of beer.

http://beermapping.com/maps/citymaps.php?m=triangle

What part of Raleigh are you thinking about?

Old 05-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
bwomp313
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 28

not really sure yet. going to check it all out. always open to more advice as we are NC noobs so to speak

thanks for all the suggestions

Old 05-09-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 693 Times on 503 Posts
Likes Given: 411

My only issue with the Raleigh Times is that it's turned into a hipster gathering place. Frankly, I can't really stand those people, so I don't really go by there any more. The Busy Bee is a pretty cool place though and has an excellent outdoor patio. A friend of mine had a wedding reception/party there last summer and it was great.

Big Boss is a great place to go too. They don't serve food but I think they have food trucks that come by on the weekends. I was just there on Saturday and had a great time.

Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwillys
Sam's Quik Shop (if you go to Durham)
Oh man, nostalgia blast. I was in there at least once a week in college. I still have my t shirt somewhere...
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #17
Rob_B
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

For the Que you have a couple choices. The first is Allen & Son Barbeque, Chapel Hill. They are very good and old school but no Beer. But then again you can grab a bag of rinds on your way out!

The next was already mentioned, The Pit, in downtown Raleigh. They do some excellent whole hog and a great selection of craft beers. Their owner/founder has been on Throwdown with Bobby Flay and all that Food Network jazz.

If you're in the Six Forks Rd area there is a World of Beer (a Florida based chain). They don't serve food but they are a killer beer bar.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
ajwillys
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
My only issue with the Raleigh Times is that it's turned into a hipster gathering place.
True, they do go through alot of pbr and there are some mega hipsters there, but their beer list is insane. I'm not talking about holy ****, there's 400 beers insane (taco mac, flying saucer). I'm talking about holy **** there's 10 sours! This is their current beer list:

http://www.raleightimesbar.com/images/BeerMenu_Sm.pdf

Old 05-09-2012, 07:29 PM   #19
ajwillys
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwomp313 View Post
not really sure yet. going to check it all out. always open to more advice as we are NC noobs so to speak

thanks for all the suggestions
If you have any specific questions, pm me. I've lived here 28 years (I'm 30).

Old 05-11-2012, 04:06 AM   #20
DUNDASJ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

As far as big Boss goes awesome place tours are free I think every third Saturday of the month and 3 beers for 3 bux. If your hungry call ahead and ask if they are going to have any food trucks there that day. IMO Raleigh food trucks have some pretty good food.

Quick Reply