New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Places to fill corny keg in Portland, OR?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 08:33 PM   #1
qposner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Places to fill corny keg in Portland, OR?

I have called around to a few brewpubs and some will fill them (Luck Lab, Alameda). However, Widmer said no and that very few places in Portland will fill them. Don't know if I believe Widmer on that. Does anyone know who in Portland will fill cornys before I start calling all of my favorite brewpubs? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Laurelwood and HUB will...those are the only two I've ever had do it. Don't often have the space for a commercial in the lineup

Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by qposner View Post
I have called around to a few brewpubs and some will fill them (Luck Lab, Alameda). However, Widmer said no and that very few places in Portland will fill them. Don't know if I believe Widmer on that. Does anyone know who in Portland will fill cornys before I start calling all of my favorite brewpubs? Thanks!
I think I'd trust Widmer on that. They probably put out their own 1/6 barrels, so why would they?

Also...how are these pubs filling them? Straight from the tap?

Another HERMS rig...

Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
randyisrad
Recipes 

The Raccoon will do it for 40. You have to come in on a weekday and ask for Beck...Their beer is really good too.

Kegged:
Last Red Cent NW Red
Remember When Crap was a Bad Word Imperial Coffee Oatmeal Chocolate Stout
Holly Gratz Pilsner
Rye IPA
Spring Training IPA
Fermenting:
Breakfast in a Bottle
Conditioning:
Gargoyle Smoked Ale
Bottled:
Hair of the Dog Adam Clone
Cheerilie Wee Heavy
Thanks Dave Stout
Last Chance Porter

Next Beers:
1. IIPA (Brawley's 4rd)
2. Dice Ale

Old 02-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 362

i've asked a few local milwaukee brewpubs.

none of them will. they say the FDA won't let them because they can't be sure of sanitation before you bring it in or after.

i don't know what it takes to take apart a sanke, but i'm guessing its because you could easily get a corny filled, pop open the top, add some ecoli, and sue.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:31 PM   #6
jhobson
Recipes 

How is it any different than a growler fill? Or a grocery store selling a gallon of milk for that matter? What if I open a bottle of beer, it somehow gets contaminated, I drink and get sick? I could see the breweries seeing it as an increased risk and not wanting to do it, but not a specific regulatory issue. Doesn't 7-11 permit you to come in and refill those gigantic soda bottles they sell?

I think if you were going to sue, you would need to prove that the beer/brewery had contaminated the container/beer. In normal distribution this comes up with multiple people get sick.

I've had HUB fill a corny for me and I'm glad offer the service.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
qposner
Recipes 

So far, HUB, Lucky Lab, Laurelhurst, 4th Street in Gresham and Alameda will all fill. Widmer is the onyl one that said no. No answer at Roots or the Green Dragon.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
Picobrew
Biscuit Enthusiast
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhobson View Post
How is it any different than a growler fill? Or a grocery store selling a gallon of milk for that matter? What if I open a bottle of beer, it somehow gets contaminated, I drink and get sick? I could see the breweries seeing it as an increased risk and not wanting to do it, but not a specific regulatory issue. Doesn't 7-11 permit you to come in and refill those gigantic soda bottles they sell?

I think if you were going to sue, you would need to prove that the beer/brewery had contaminated the container/beer. In normal distribution this comes up with multiple people get sick.

I've had HUB fill a corny for me and I'm glad offer the service.
Filling cornies is a pain for the brewery, especially if it is infrequent, because they have to have the equipment clean and ready to fill the cornies, and clean it up after, and it takes labor. They don't just have a bartender hook up a hose like a growler, it takes someone in the brewery.

Also, I am sure some of the breweries are a little leery of how sanitary your corny itself is. If a brewery is busy or swamped for production, they also don't like to put out cornies, as it can take away beer and business from establishing new draft accounts.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #9
jhobson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picobrew View Post
Filling cornies is a pain for the brewery, especially if it is infrequent, because they have to have the equipment clean and ready to fill the cornies, and clean it up after, and it takes labor. They don't just have a bartender hook up a hose like a growler, it takes someone in the brewery.

Also, I am sure some of the breweries are a little leery of how sanitary your corny itself is. If a brewery is busy or swamped for production, they also don't like to put out cornies, as it can take away beer and business from establishing new draft accounts.
I agree with you. I just don't think there is(are) any overriding regulation(s) that would prohibit a brewery from doing so. If there were, they would seem to apply in all sorts of other situations that commonly occur. In the end, I think it's a service that each brewery should be able to choose whether or not to provide.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:19 PM   #10
klyph
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts

Can't you buy a corny lid with a sanke coupler welded on?

thought i'd seen that somewhere.

Primary: saison
Secondary: nada
Conditioning: macaroon stout
Drinking: store bought

Quick Reply