Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pineapple Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
BellsBeerDrinker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Pineapple Hefeweizen

i want to combine my love of beer with my love of pineapple... the problem is, i just don't know whether or not the two will combine to make a delicious hefeweizen.

i'm worried that if i add straight pineapple to the secondary, that it will affect the head retention... so my thinking was to chop up some pineapple (half pound?) and sprinkle some sugar on it and then simmer it in a pan until it turns into a jam of sorts...

once i have that, i want to set it aside and pitch it in the boil during the last 5 minutes or the flameout... i am not sure which would be better...

i'm not looking for a huge pineapple taste, but i would like it to be noticeable.

does anyone have any experience with this? do you think that it will work...?

thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Why would you add sugar to it? I'd try adding it after fermentation has died down, just like other fruit additions.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
BellsBeerDrinker
Recipes 

i just know that when you simmer down fruit to make a "jam" of sorts, you put sugar on it...

i'm up for trying anything though!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Diaperload
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My club makes a Pineapple weizen. It is FANTASTIC. One of our members came up with the recipe and Widmer brewed 30bbls of it cause he won a collaborator contest. Pretty neat stuff. They gave him a tap handle and a custom jacket with his name embroidered on it.

I say brew it. It will turn out great.

For a 5 gallon batch we just added a bunch of frozen pineapple chunks to the secondary. It went pretty fast when it was done. We're gonna have to brew this again sometime.

"I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out."

Old 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaperload View Post
My club makes a Pineapple weizen. It is FANTASTIC. One of our members came up with the recipe and Widmer brewed 30bbls of it cause he won a collaborator contest. Pretty neat stuff. They gave him a tap handle and a custom jacket with his name embroidered on it.

I say brew it. It will turn out great.

For a 5 gallon batch we just added a bunch of frozen pineapple chunks to the secondary. It went pretty fast when it was done. We're gonna have to brew this again sometime.
And the recipe is......?

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #6
dpatrickv
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 72

In my coconut pineapple pale ale I used 2 12oz cans on pure frozen pineapple concentrate. Gave it a nice hint of pineapple.

Kegged
Summer Session #1 - Summer Session #2 - Hakuna Matata Strawberry Saison - Dank You Very Much IIPA - NZ Saison
Primary/Secondary
Sidelined Short Bus
On Deck

Old 02-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #7
thood6
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp

and the recipe is......?
+10

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
~Ernest Hemingway

Primary: CDJ IPA #1, Sea Cow Pale #1
Secondary: HUH?
Bottle: Scroatmeal Stout, Kolsch, Honey Blonde, Imperial Stout, Raspberry Stout, Blackberry Stout
Keg: Pumpkin Porter, Vanilla Porter
Future: Irish Red, Centennial Blonde, White Ale, Whiskey Imperial Stout #1, Saison #1

Old 02-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1070 Times on 670 Posts
Likes Given: 1143

A local craft brewery where I am has a seasonal pineapple Heffe they call Mr Pineapple. I was fortunate enough to talk with one of the brewers who shared their recipe with me.

5.5 gal batch
OG 1.051
FG 1.012

4lb white wheat
4lb 2-row
2lb Munich
aprrox 4 lbs canned Dole Pineapple juice (in 2ndary)

1 60 min addition of Hallertau to get around 19IBU

Mash around 154, underpitch a good Hefe yeast like WLP380, and ferment around 64.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill
People Like This 
Old 02-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
BellsBeerDrinker
Recipes 

BrewinHooligan, that recipe sounds delicious!

i'm going with:

7# german wheat
3# german pils
.5# munich
.5# caramunich

.75 hallertau - @ 45
.25 hallertau - @ 20

Wyeast 3860

mash @ 153 for 90

i was talking with my LHBS guy last night when i was milling my grains, and he suggested just getting some pineapple juice to pitch at flameout and then maybe another pound in the secondary...

i'm prepping my stuff now and will be brewing in a few hours. i will keep you all posted.

cheers!

Old 02-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 42

FWIW I usually make a Watermelon Wheat in the summer but last year I decided to try different fruit. I did a split batch with 2.5 gallons as a Pineapple Wheat. It turned out well and there were no head retention issues (usually that only happens if you use something oily...say like coconut). I was shooting for something similar to Mana Wheat from Maui Brewing Co.

I used two whole fresh pineapples cut into chunks. I put the chunks in the freezer until primary fermentation slowed down, then racked on top of them in the secondary. Freezing them helps break down the cell walls so you tend to get better flavor extraction. My only complaint was the finished product didn't have enough pineapple character. It was fruity, but it wasn't identifiable as pineapple. In fact, it seemed more like fruit character you'd get from a yeast that produces a lot of esters. I can tell it's pineapple because I know it's in there but in blind taste tests nobody else has been able to identify it as pineapple. Next time I'll try 5-6 pineapples per 5 gallon batch.

Quick Reply