Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pine Flavored Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 02:28 AM   #21
MaynardX
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

+ to the chinook for pine. U can't go wrong.

Bottle: Rochfort 10 Clone, Bourbon Oak Pumpkin Ale
Keg: Kolsh, Marzen, Saison, Belgian Strong Ale, Brewskie the Elder,Pomegranate Apfelwien, Rye Dortmunder Export, English Bitter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 02:59 PM   #22
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2343 Times on 1665 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Although I didn't' get as much pine as I wanted from my Chinook SMaSH, it was still a very tasty beer. Your perception of pine might be different from mine own as well. I say go for it!

Old 05-03-2012, 01:39 AM   #23
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Chinook it is. Thanks guys

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Old 05-03-2012, 01:58 AM   #24
tuskenraider
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILBMF View Post
Simcoe, my all time favorite doesn't do pine for me. I get lots of grapefruit, peachy, cat piss notes from simcoe.
Interesting. It is being mentioned a lot here, but hey, every pallate is different. I just did a Simcoe SMaSH and it is lots of pine to the wife and I.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #25
BigRob
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 18 Posts

I don't get a lot of pine from Simcoe or Northern Brewer to be honest. That's not to say that I don't enjoy them (Simcoe moreso than Northern Brewer).

Old 05-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #26
captianoats
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts

Not to take us too off topic, but pilgrims sometimes used pine needles for their new world beers.

http://www.beerinstitute.org/tier.asp?bid=141

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" --George Carlin

Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 AM   #27
blitzcreeg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Historic ales of Scotland use pine needles in a beer called ALBA and it is fanstastic. I believe thats gaelic for pine. I also have a favorite pine used beer by nova scotia's Garrison brewery. Im going to be trying pine needles in an upcoming brew myself just not sure when and what

experience cannot be taught

Old 05-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #28
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskenraider
Interesting. It is being mentioned a lot here, but hey, every pallate is different. I just did a Simcoe SMaSH and it is lots of pine to the wife and I.
I think all hops have some pine notes. That is the nature of the beast as they say but some are dominated by it and others dominated by other more pronounced notes like citrus. Simcoe is so high in AA that while those piney resins present themselves most people find that citrus is what dominates. Taste /smell is one of those senses that people will always interpret differently though so I am not here to discredit what you are saying.

Another thing could be (and I don't know this for sure) but I wonder if hops can change their characteristics from citrus to pine or vice versa if significantly aged or improperly stored? Maybe someone more knowledgeable could answer that.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #29
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 742

Quote:
Originally Posted by captianoats View Post
Not to take us too off topic, but pilgrims sometimes used pine needles for their new world beers.

http://www.beerinstitute.org/tier.asp?bid=141
+1 for Plymouth Brewing! I call my "brewery" Pilgrim Abbey. Very suprised that Mayflower hasn't tried on of these yet. They put quotes from the Pilgrims writing about their beer on their website and such. Nice link!

Old 11-01-2012, 12:28 AM   #30
Journey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with Chinook for piney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post
I think all hops have some pine notes. That is the nature of the beast as they say but some are dominated by it and others dominated by other more pronounced notes like citrus. Simcoe is so high in AA that while those piney resins present themselves most people find that citrus is what dominates. Taste /smell is one of those senses that people will always interpret differently though so I am not here to discredit what you are saying.

Another thing could be (and I don't know this for sure) but I wonder if hops can change their characteristics from citrus to pine or vice versa if significantly aged or improperly stored? Maybe someone more knowledgeable could answer that.
PhelanKA7-

I realize this is an extremely late response to your thesis about hop characteristics, but I figured better late than never. First off, this is my first post, but I am a long time stalker and I greatly value all the wisdom and help on this site. This last spring I established a 1/4 acre hop farm and I feel that growing hops allowed me to gain appreciation and some hands on insight in regards to hop aroma. This is simply my personal experience, but I believe that you are absolutely correct about hop characteristics changing due to age and storage. In fact I noticed that my row of Summit hops varied from a onion/garlic aroma to a wonderful tangerine. Some plants had an incredible aroma and others were muddy or unfavorable. The harvest/storage was by far the trickiest aspect of growing. During the short drying/curing process I noted that some of the Columbus changed from spicy to dank and all of my Chinook changed from a strong grapefruit aroma to an aggressive pine smell with a light citrus backbone. This was certainly an odd experience for me and I have even more respect for the hop farmers of the world.

I apologize for going so far off topic.

Cheers

Quick Reply