Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pine Flavored Hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 695 Times on 490 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've heard, but can't say from my own experience, that a combination of chinook and cascade is really piney and really good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I want to stick with hops only. I'm leaning to using a cascade chinook mix. I have used cascade and want to try to keep the cohumulone percentages down too. They are both a bit high in that respect. Northern brewer has lower cohumulone % which I haven't tried yet.

Simcoe, my all time favorite doesn't do pine for me. I get lots of grapefruit, peachy, cat piss notes from simcoe.

What do you guys taste in a good batch of Nugget Nectar??? This years batch was pure $hit...I'm talking about a batch like last year's.

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Old 05-01-2012, 12:00 AM   #13
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 600

Harpoon does a Spruce tip ale with chinook that is simply lights out

Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #14
Grantman1
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I just dry hopped my last IPA with only Chinook and cascade, hoping for some good piney aroma. Its finishing right now, will let you know how it turns out .

Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #15
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3064 Times on 1927 Posts
Likes Given: 2600

chinook. I'm sipping a all-chinook rye IIPA right now.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #16
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1947 Times on 1408 Posts
Likes Given: 1064

Chinnok and Simcoe, although I made a Chinook SMaSH not long ago and I didn't get as much pine resin flavor and aroma as I would have liked.

And I've had a spruce ale from Alaskan Brewing that was great! not at all what I expected, but delicious.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #17
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILBMF View Post
I want to stick with hops only. I'm leaning to using a cascade chinook mix. I have used cascade and want to try to keep the cohumulone percentages down too. They are both a bit high in that respect. Northern brewer has lower cohumulone % which I haven't tried yet.

Simcoe, my all time favorite doesn't do pine for me. I get lots of grapefruit, peachy, cat piss notes from simcoe.

What do you guys taste in a good batch of Nugget Nectar??? This years batch was pure $hit...I'm talking about a batch like last year's.
My second case of nugget was subpar... It had a march date on it. The first was everything I remembered from years past and was bottled in feb. I don't know exactly what I taste in nugget, but it's an amazing balance of hop flavor and aroma from beginning to end with just the right amount of malt sweetness to balance out the brew. One of my all time favorites.

Troegs just moved their brewery which might be responsible for their inconsistency this year.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #18
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBanana View Post
I wouldn't put pine resin in beer. Pine needles however is a different story. Fresh spruce tips would be a nice addition to the right beer. I can't recall the name but there's a brewery in Alaska that makes a spruce beer.

You could also use some juniper berries.
Philadelphia brewing co does a spruce beer and uses pine needles. Havent had the chance to try it but a friend of mine said it was good. I recall him saying that they may have completely replaced all hops with pine, but I could be wrong. Not a fan of their brews but this is one I'd like to try.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #19
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanzerBanana View Post
I can't recall the name but there's a brewery in Alaska that makes a spruce beer.
Alaskan Brewing

FYI, if you ever visit Juneau it's well worth the trip to the brewery. They don't have a "tour" so to speak, but they do tell you the history of the company and the brewery and let you taste pretty much whatever you want.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #20
ILBMF
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsdealer View Post
My second case of nugget was subpar... It had a march date on it. The first was everything I remembered from years past and was bottled in feb. I don't know exactly what I taste in nugget, but it's an amazing balance of hop flavor and aroma from beginning to end with just the right amount of malt sweetness to balance out the brew. One of my all time favorites.

Troegs just moved their brewery which might be responsible for their inconsistency this year.
Yes, I plan to visit the new brewery soon. It seems that Troegs Nugget Nectar suffers every other year or so. It was way too bitter with no sweet hop notes a couple of years ago. I was thinking the new facility may be the culprit, but how bad can you screw up a beer in a great recipe using a new German system that's sanitary and state of the art? I think they are having trouble getting the hop varieties or the quality of the hops was off.

I think you guys have convinced me to do an all Chinook dry hop or maybe mostly Chinook for the pine like notes. I do remember using Chinook once and was pleased with the smell of the hops in the bag.

''Once, I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken'' (Read that somewhere, just loved it. Sorry if I stole it...consider it a compliment)

''I don't allow work during drinking hours''

Quick Reply