New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrew Competition 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 02:16 PM   #21
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigsegv View Post
I placed somewhere between 9th and however many other entries there were (did they ever say?). I was one of those that did the triple decoction too. It was both my first decoction and first lager. So I wasn't expecting to place very well anyway. I left shortly after they announced the top 8 spots. I take it they never released any official scores or ranks during the remainder of the event? That's also the impression I got about the other events from looking at comments on the Urquell Facebook page as well. This was the most disappointing aspect for me. After putting so much into it, and having no clear indication of where I came out in the competition. It really just felt like just a big marketing gimmick for Urquell to me in the end.
No decoction for my beer. This winter I'll mess around with that.

Last year there was no feedback either to the brewers - unless you talked to the judges immediately afterwards. I can understand the desire for feedback, but on the other hand, it cost nothing to enter, and they do throw a nice party with free beer and food.

It's great that a woman won!! We had two women in the top 9 in NYC

Primary: OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison, light beer - yes, light beer
Brewing soon: IPA, Belgian IPA, Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2012, 03:43 AM   #22
Joeneugs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I was dissapointed that they didn't give out scoring sheets. I asked the Pilsner Urquell people if we could get any feedback at all about our beers, and they said no because the beers are all tasted anonomously. I even tried to find out where I placed between 4th and 8th, and they couldn't even tell me that. Hopefully they change that in next years competition since feedback is often the most beneficial part of entering a contest in the first place especially with the great judging panel they had!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply