Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrew Competition 2012

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #11
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Less than a week until the NYC event! I would be great to meet more HBT members! My hair has gotten pretty long these days (going to donate it) so if you see someone with fairly gray hair pulled back with a barrette (yes barrette), that would be me.

I'm very pleased with how mine turned out. I made a batch which I served at our pig roast 2 weeks ago, and it was the first keg kicked. It was awesome! I meant to bottle some up in case the next batch wasn't as good. Needless to say, I didn't get to it before it was kicked. Luckily, the next batch is just as good!

I'm going to bring an extra bottle so I can share it if the venue doesn't mind. Last year Michaeltrego (2nd place) was kind enough to bring an extra bottle along to share with several of us - with the venue's approval. I'm always a bit nervous about bringing my beer to a bar.

Good luck everyone!!

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

And a side note, for those of you who don't follow Pilsner Urquell USA on facebook, they have announced new shipping and packaging to the US. The new packaging will be totally enclosed so no light gets to the bottles, and maybe more important - it will be shipped here in refrigerated containers!!!!!! Now everyone will be able to taste what the Europeans do!

I don't know what the time line for this is, but I assume there will be some kind of marketing campaign. It would be cool to see a PU commercial on TV!!

Old 07-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
JRems
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I just got some PU at the beer distribitor yesterday to do a taste test against the one I'm bringing to the comp. The new 6 and 12 packs are completely covered. They are in a thin cardboard box. I'll have to check but I don't think it even has cutouts to grab the box by, so no light can get in. Or they could just use brown bottles for export, you would think that would be easier.
I'll see you there

Old 07-19-2012, 03:43 AM   #14
Joeneugs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I'm excited to try the fresh PU as well! I haven't seen the new packaging yet out here in Cali.

I'll be at the San Francisco event next week. I'm really excited! This is my first ever competition AND my first ever lager. It didn't quite turn out the way I wanted, but I'm looking forward to having a good time at the event anyway. Hopefully I'll meet some other homebrewtalk'ers.

Old 07-22-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
michaeltrego
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Best of luck to all the brewers this year! Maybe Phil can pull off a back to back!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:21 AM   #16
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltrego View Post
Best of luck to all the brewers this year! Maybe Phil can pull off a back to back!
No back to back. I did manage to take your spot this year. I am quite happy with 2nd place. The guy who took 3rd last year took first, If you had been there, maybe it would have been the same top three in NYC!

Great event at the Radegast Bier Hall in Brooklyn. Got to meet JRems and his wife. JRems made it into the top 9 finalists! Way to go!!

Good luck to those in Chicago and San Francisco!! And most of all, have fun and enjoy the party!

Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #17
alastair
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
No back to back. I did manage to take your spot this year. I am quite happy with 2nd place. The guy who took 3rd last year took first, If you had been there, maybe it would have been the same top three in NYC!
Congrats Phil! Very impressive to see two of the top three repeat. Lucky for me Mike couldn't make it this year

Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
michaeltrego
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair View Post
Congrats Phil! Very impressive to see two of the top three repeat. Lucky for me Mike couldn't make it this year
Way to go Phil and Alastair - HBT and Brew Free or Die represents again! Wish I could have been there again this year, but just didn't have the time. Looking forward to next year.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #19
Joeneugs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, the San Francisco event was a lot of fun!

I placed somewhere between 4th and 8th. I was pretty happy making the top 8 considering I wasn't really crazy about how my beer turned out. The judges said that the beers at our event were the best of all three cities... but maybe they say that to everyone!

I got a chance to talk to the winner briefly and she said that she did a triple decoction, so theres a plug for the traditional method. In fact most of the people I talked to did some form of decoction. I hope they return to SF next year.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #20
sigsegv
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I placed somewhere between 9th and however many other entries there were (did they ever say?). I was one of those that did the triple decoction too. It was both my first decoction and first lager. So I wasn't expecting to place very well anyway. I left shortly after they announced the top 8 spots. I take it they never released any official scores or ranks during the remainder of the event? That's also the impression I got about the other events from looking at comments on the Urquell Facebook page as well. This was the most disappointing aspect for me. After putting so much into it, and having no clear indication of where I came out in the competition. It really just felt like just a big marketing gimmick for Urquell to me in the end.

Quick Reply