The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pilsner with Cascade/Centennial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 12:25 AM   #1
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Pilsner with Cascade/Centennial

Just a thought/question...

I enjoy lagers. I enjoy ales. I really enjoy hoppy ales.

Of course, most of my buddies are BMC drinkers and alot of the brews so far have been met little critical acclaim. I was thinking about a compromise and experiment.

I was wondering if anyone has made a pilsner, forgone the saaz and put it cascade, simcoe, centennial, amirillo, etc. (you get the drift) and even dry-hopped?

To be honest, I just got my ferm chamber set up and have not made a lager yet, but am thinking of something along these lines.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2009, 12:37 AM   #2
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think it sounds delicious. Im a recovering cascade addict

Old 09-16-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think it would be good. Kinda like a modern Classic American Pilsner, if that makes any sense (modern as far as hops go).

Old 09-16-2009, 12:56 AM   #4
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm a Cascade lover. But I don't think Cascade does well in lagers. Before you brew it you may want to try it as a finished product. I know that Bell's makes one, but right now I can't remember if it's called Bell's Lager or Bell's Third Coast or something else.
Now Bell's usually makes just FANTASTIC beers. This one is IMO just so-so, although, from a historical point of view, it's a "must try".

Old 09-17-2009, 12:26 AM   #5
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

I made an imperial pilsner a few times with saaz hallertau and centennial. 8% abv, 110 ibus and finished it dry with some corn sugar. Dry hopped with all three too. It was awesome. I don't know about an American hop centered lager since I used only 1/3 american. Give it a shot, you're a homebrewer.

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 09-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
Jaysus
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 79

sacrilege!

Old 09-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #7
dstar26t
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Haha, yeah. Saaz and hallertau together plus an American hop. I'm surprised the beer gods didn't strike me down during the boil.

Next: Oktoberfest v5
Fermenting: Conan DIPA, 1830's English Mild @ Earth - Bread + Brewery, Dopplebock, Cider, Rye Berliner Weisse, Barrel Fermented Dreg Lambic, Brett Trois Helles, Sauerkraut Fermented Gose, Carrot Blossom Cedar Mead
Drinking: Tropicale Thunder v2, Lambic, Brett Trois IPA, Brett Blonde, Kriek, Saison, Sour Blonde, RIS v1 & v2, Barleywine
Barrel aged: RIS, Rye Barleywine, Tripel

Old 09-17-2009, 04:13 AM   #8
Grizzlybrew

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For those of you interested, I talked to owner of the best beer store in Atlanta HopCity Craft Beer & Wine , Kraig, and he pointed me towards Coney Island (Shmaltz Brewing). The only time I had any was so long ago I don't think I realized what I was drinking at the time.

Although, I'm not crazy about what looks like a "kitchen-sink" approach to the brews, I think I'll try a few to get an idea.

Check them out: http://www.shmaltz.com/CONEY/cil.html

Not to mention, the Mermaid Pilsner label makes me happy.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #9
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I think American hops would be fine in a true Pilsner. With Pilsners, it is all about the bittering hop, with some flavor and a small amount of aroma hops (if any). I think if hopped this way, the "American" flavors won't be too strong. Now, as soon as you start adding a bunch of late addition hops and dry hopping, it's not a true Pilsner any more. Its some kind of new fangled Lager - which could be quite good, just not a pilsner.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 09-18-2009, 12:06 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1900 Times on 1371 Posts
Likes Given: 1045

It doesn't matter if it's a lager or an ale. The pilsner part is what keeps the style. YOu would be creating a new style, like pjj2ba said. But that is not necessarily a bad thing. The problem is that pilsners are lighter beers, so you will have to pay attention to the amounts or you will over do it (It sounds like you kind of WANT to overdo it, but I mean, even more than that).

I'm not a big fan of pilsners, but I do like some hops, especially the American varieties. I'd be curious to see how it comes out, but I don't see the point in trying to make a pilsner for your buddies, and adding lots of Am. hops. I think that's not going to fly with them, and probably still be too light for your own tastes. Sounds like a fine line you are dancing on.

Quick Reply