Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pilots who are avid brewers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Default Pilots who are avid brewers

HEY, how many of you (I have talked to quite a few) are pilots and brewers? In my weekly travels in this small yet convoluted industry I have flown with and met an abnormally high ratio of pilots who are also brewers! Who do you fly for, what started you in your brewing obesession, how do you balance monitoring your brews when you are away 4-5 days consecutively per week? Doesn't it suck to brew a batch and come home AFTER it has fermented? LOL
There just seems to be a high ratio of pilots who are also homebrew freaks! Nothing wrong with that!

The Pol

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

I used to be a pilot . . . started flying when I was 12, soloed at 16, got my PPL at 18 then quit flying at 19 (was going to college to be a airline pilot) when I joined the navy, havent gone back to it since :\

Old 03-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Heh, you probably got out of it at a good time! I never planned to be an airline pilot, yet here I am... funny how things work out! Ever miss flying?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Private pilot here. Got it when i was 17, now 21. I have around 160 hours, college makes it hard to fly too much prices are getting up their. When i finish college im gonna start building an RV.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:07 PM   #5
The Pol
Recipes 

Yeah, I remember that when I started it was about $48 an hour, wet, for a 172... I can imagine that fuel and insurance have balooned that drastically!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Walter Sobchak
Recipes 

I fly an RJ, if that counts as flying. Yeah, it's kinda funny. I know a bunch of guys that are into homebrewing. Some of them are winemakers too. As far as our schedules are concerned, I think being out on a trip eases the impatience of waiting to move a batch from one step in the brewing process to the next. Just my $.02.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:32 PM   #7
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol
Heh, you probably got out of it at a good time! I never planned to be an airline pilot, yet here I am... funny how things work out! Ever miss flying?
Funny thing is always planned on being an airline pilot after i spent time in the navy as a pilot. I started mowing lawns when i was 12 just to fly then every dime I made from 12 - 19 went to flying. It wasnt until 1989 while I was in college I decided as much as I love flying I didnt want to be a bus driver at 40,000ft.

I like to fly to do EVERYTHING you're told not to do. My friends and I would take rolls of TP and let them run out behind our BE-77's and chase each other and try to cut the TP with our props, we would get as low as possible over Lake Michigan and see how close we could make it to the bluffs and we would drop napkins full of flour onto cows. The more I flew the less I wanted to do staight lines and the less I wanted to have a plane wrapped around me. Do I miss it? I dont mis going from point A to point B just because, I dont miss doing practice approaches for hours on end, and I dont miss doing the paperwork and math for weight and balance issues. I do miss jumping in the plane and skipping class to fly to Oshkosh for a coke, I miss screwing around and landing at a small airfield to pull marsh grass out of my gear before I went ack to Timmerman Field to return the plane . . . I miss the freedom of flying. I would love to fly again but now I just cant afford it and WHEN I do start flying again it will probably be in something like this http://www.southernskies.net/ss_paragliders.html

Old 03-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

I agree, being away from your brew all week does help with being impatient... I fly an RJ too, the EMB170. Everyone is hiring now though... we cannot even keep our planes staffed people are leaving so fast.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:51 PM   #9
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Private pilot here, too, not current but working on it! Funny thing is, SWMBO got me flying lessons for my bithday years ago, and also got me my starter beer kit for Christmas a couple years later. If it weren't for her, I wouldn't do anything fun!!! I'm pretty lucky...........

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 03-20-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
The Pol
Recipes 

Your wife has you doing the things that most women would rather us not! Fly and brew!!

Quick Reply