Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Picked up a Miller Home Draft Kit..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
HeavyBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Picked up a Miller Home Draft Kit..

Picked one up last night and dumped that piss down the drain, man I swear that's the worst miller I've ever smelled/tasted.

All you really have to do is break the tabs on the holder holding the co2 canister in and it works just like you would expect it. The only thing I think you have to be aware of is that when you pull the lever to dispense, pull it all the way and really fast. There's a bit of preload and if you half-ass it, you will definitely be spraying foam all over. Also the lever will click back into almost a lock position, even without putting the lock on. I've found if you just push it back all the way without it "clicking," you can leave it like that without a worry. It's nice to leave it in that position without trying to click it back and forth every time you want to pour one

I sanitized it and am going to fill it up with my beer for a bbq on saturday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 PM   #2
graybeard
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I bought one of these last week. I'm trying to choke down the contents prior to Saturday, when I am planning to bottle (and refill this piggie) my imperial blonde ale, made from extract/kit from Brewer's Best.

I'm getting less help drinking this stuff than I would have expected. Perhaps I've "over- educated" my regular guests on craft brew and homebrew, but I digress...

Anyway, my purpose is three-fold:

1) to get a real sense of how many days of drinking at my casual pace will one of these things last. Since I'm often doing something else (mowing the yard, socializing on the deck, etc.) when I'm drinking, I don't really count how many servings I down. So I don't really know how long "16 12-oz. servings" will last at my house.

2) to compare this type of draft experience to my bottled homebrew experience. Same taste with less bottling hassle? Better/worse carbonation/head properties? Easier serving or taking up too much space in the fridge?

3) My brother will be sharing the bounty on Saturday, and will be "kegging" some in his TAB system. I want to see how similar the systems are - could they be used interchangably? Is the Miller Lite pig a more economical alternative to TAB, or just a marketing novelty? Is the Home Draft container/tap system durable enough for regular re-use?

I'm trying to decide whether to migrate to home draft pigs for all my homebrew (keep buying or acquiring these pigs), reserve this type of kegging for mobile units (for picnics and whatnot), or just scrap the whole idea. Nothing like practical experience to help the mind clarify and prioritize the relevant issues.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2751 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You might find this discussion helpful, it's been ongoing.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/mill...sected-181602/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply