Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Photos and Insider's Look at a Beer Competition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #31
noblesquirrel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtB View Post
I entered a Robust Porter, IIPA, and Irish Red.

The robust porter was judged by Eric Duske and Timothy Racette.

The IIPA was judged by Ken Getty and Ron Stazuk. It was a feedback beer and from the comments past its prime for aroma by the time it went to this comp. Other than the lack of aroma due to the age of the beer, the comments I received from this comp were about the same as the other comps that I sent the beer into.

One of the judges for the Irish Red was actually a fellow member of the Urban Knaves of Grain (Matt Klausner), and I have already jokingly given him a little grief over his comments (even though I think they were valid for the most part).

Overall, I think the judging from the three comps that I entered so far this year have all been very good. The comments were well thought out, and helpful. On my beers that scored well, there were good suggestions on things to try to possibly make it better. On the beers that did not score well, I saw just as much encouragement as I did helpful suggestions. Even an "Altbeir" that really missed the style, had comments from a judge that when paraphrased basically said that I made a really good beer that he would enjoy drinking again, just not an "Altbeir".
Matt's a friend of mine and I regularly bust his balls a little bit. The guy's always winning, so I figure sometimes a little busting is in order! Glad to hear you're getting good feedback. I rarely hear from people so I don't know if there are things I can/should improve on my scoresheets. I guess it's good that I'm not hearing back though...

Brian
BJCP - C0839 Master/Mead Judge

HOPS! Homebrewers' Pride of the Southside

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 05:09 PM   #32
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 937 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

I have lately received a few scoresheets with comments that I thought were too brief. After judging small stouts followed by porters at a competition earlier this year, I understand that there are only so many ways to comment on coffee aromas, but a judge who uses only four words in any of the sections is not doing her/his job as well as they should, in my opinion.

Joe Dragon Likes This 
Old 04-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #33
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I have lately received a few scoresheets with comments that I thought were too brief. After judging small stouts followed by porters at a competition earlier this year, I understand that there are only so many ways to comment on coffee aromas, but a judge who uses only four words in any of the sections is not doing her/his job as well as they should, in my opinion.
I am of the same opinion. As a judge who also enters competitions, I try and fill out each and every score sheet as if I were going to receive it.

I've received score sheets that have literally said only "smoke" in the aroma section, "smoke" in the flavor section and "good" in the other sections. 40/50. I can't say that getting that score sheet back was worth my entry fee.

Pappers, thank you for doing a write up on how competitions work and shedding a bit of light on just how much work goes in to running one. Perhaps this should be a sticky somewhere since the topic comes up so often?
Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider
Pappers_ Likes This 
Old 04-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #34
Dolomieu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I found myself guilty of this on a few entries i judged. All I can say is that judges are in different stages of learning. A BJCP judge has proven that they can find the flaws and articulate them to the brewer. Some of us just starting out or helping with a competition with a serious shortage of judges may not be as good with that just yet. That being said there where only a couple of beers i did this with. What can you really say when a stout tastes like a green jolly rancher, besides watch you fermentation temp and sanitation.

judging needs to be encouraged among homebrew clubs and i would rather get a less comments than there be no competition at all. Everyone needs to start somewhere. I plan on continuing to judge and improve, though i don't see BJCP in my future.

What I know is this. Regardless of how well the judges give notes the better beer seems to win. $.02

Draft beer, Not me!!! - Belching Penguin

Old 04-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #35
mors
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolomieu View Post
I found myself guilty of this on a few entries i judged. All I can say is that judges are in different stages of learning. A BJCP judge has proven that they can find the flaws and articulate them to the brewer. Some of us just starting out or helping with a competition with a serious shortage of judges may not be as good with that just yet. That being said there where only a couple of beers i did this with. What can you really say when a stout tastes like a green jolly rancher, besides watch you fermentation temp and sanitation.

judging needs to be encouraged among homebrew clubs and i would rather get a less comments than there be no competition at all. Everyone needs to start somewhere. I plan on continuing to judge and improve, though i don't see BJCP in my future.

What I know is this. Regardless of how well the judges give notes the better beer seems to win. $.02
Heh, actually if it's tasting like a green jolly rancher it's most likely caused by racking off the yeast too soon before it's had time to clean up the beer ;-)

I do agree that judges are all at varying skill levels. A new judge can still attempt to fill in the scoresheet though. 'Good' is never acceptable and the judging partner of a newer judge that writes these kinds of scoresheets should be guiding them to fill in the scoresheet better.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 AM   #36
CA_Mouse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 218

Nice write up! I, too, am entering my first competition and truly had no idea what was involved. I have been a judge in another hobby for a few years and can see a lot of the similarities for organizing them.

Thank you!

Mouse

Quick Reply