Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Photo: Does this starter look infected?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2011, 05:14 PM   #21
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6070 Times on 5304 Posts
Likes Given: 712

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Meh, I wouldn't worry about that either. Just because the beer on top of the yeast smells bad, even sour doesn't mean the yeast below is bad.

When we make a starter we are growing more yeast, we're not trying to make a good tasting tiny beer, so we usually don't hop it, or put it in a temp controlled eviroment. So the "beer" on top is not going to be in that great a condition. Often in summer our starter beers go sour, that's why some folks add a hop pellet or two to the boil. And then if we DO hop it, we're leaving it on our kitchen counter in bright sunlight and THAT'S going to skunk, and smell bad....

But unless you go the extra mile, that beer on top, which often sits in the sun, or in a hot room, and without hops is often going to smell, or even taste bad. But that tiny bit of beer won't effect the 5 gallons you are making. You can always decant the starter beer of the top and pitch it.

But I wouldn't scrap it. Half of the starters I've pitched I've never bothered to sniff, and of those I did, many smelled sour or other wise nasty, and I've still pitched them, and never had a bad beer.
Revvy speaks the truth here (again ).

I've heard people dump their starters because they smell "sour" or taste "bad." My response is, have you ever smelled or tasted your beer after ~18-24 hours of fermentation (afterall, a starter is basically ~705mL of "beer" sans hops (usually)? It shouldn't be any different than 5 gallons in a fermenter.

I have yet to find anyone that has....but I'm sure it smells "sour" and tastes "bad" - just like a starter does.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #22
Homebrewtastic
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yeast can sometimes clump together oddly. I once had yeast flocculate on top of a fermenting batch in such an odd way that I could've sworn it was a pellicle. It looked filmy with big chunky bubbles and everything. But after two days it went away.

Bottled: Epik Barleywine, Chocolate Chili Pumpkin Porter, EKG Amber
Adventures in Zymurgy - Homebrewing and Sour Beer Blog

Old 02-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #23
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post
If I remember, isn't 1968 the Wyeast version of 005?
1968 is supposedly the same as 002; 005 is similar to those yeasts, but more attenuative.

i was just listening to a 'Can You Brew It' podcast today and they wanted to see how a 10 gal batch of Lagunitas Maximus turned out using 002 in one fermenter and 1968 in the other. the 002 finished 1 degree plato lower and was concluded 'not cloned' while the 1968 produced a 'cloned' version. it was interesting to hear them discuss the differences.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 02-06-2011, 08:44 PM   #24
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

This is bull****. If it's not right, why risk a batch? Get a packet of dry yeast and set your mind at ease. Might be, could be, should be, are all wishful thinking.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:59 AM   #25
gerbache
Recipes 

I've even seen fresh vials of White Labs' various English yeasts that looked a lot like that. Some of them look pretty much like cottage cheese to me. Also, I've never been able to tell anything by smelling the yeast or the starter. It just depends so much on the strain, it's impossible to know what to expect.

My vote definitely leans to the "it's fine" side.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 AM   #26
MBasile
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
That's what I was thinking.
Same here. I must have learned something over the last year.5, woohoo!

That looks like a chunky English yeast to me.

Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

Old 02-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #27
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I certainly would keep a couple packets of dry yeast on standby.

But unless you completely know the characteristics of the yeast you are using, you could be throwing away a perfectly good yeast starter.

M_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
This is bull****. If it's not right, why risk a batch? Get a packet of dry yeast and set your mind at ease. Might be, could be, should be, are all wishful thinking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 02-07-2011, 02:04 PM   #28
Indyking
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I would bet my farm, if I had one, that the starter is good.

Have you smelled an opened package of liquid yeast before? It smells like what I call "microbiology lab"; that sour putrefied smell. It's the sure sign of good and healthy yeast and starters will smell just the same, but likely stronger due to the larger number of cells. The clumping pattern is probably just something inherent to the yeast strain, perhaps exacerbated by the conditions during fermentations, like temperature, amount of O2, etc. About the krausen, remember that these tiny worts (starters) ferment pretty quickly because of the low absolute sugar content, so the krausen forms and vanishes quickly too. I have actually missed the krausen once with a very small starter but I took a FG at the end just to be sure and there was full attenuation! You’re fine mate, no worries!

Old 02-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #29
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Thanks for the replies all!

I pitched it yesterday, so lets hope it was good (I'm pretty confident now that it is), and I'll update back here with the progress.

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Quick Reply