The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Phoenix Breweries.. The Best?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Interesting the differences. Haven't been to SD.. But, one thing appears to be similar to all of them.. They have to build all their water from RO/DI. That could account for some of the differences. I love the beers in my area. Russian River, Bear Republic, Lagunitas, etc. So far, followed by some of the Colorado breweries. We have to make adjustments.. but not build the water. Generally, the Russian River watershed produces pretty good water. Probably not nearly as good as parts of WA state.. "It's the water that makes Olympia Beer"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The water here is pretty awful for brewing. Bicarbonate is super high, it's very high in sodium, but worst of all, the ion levels vary a ton based on the water source. You could be brewing with 50ppm calcium or 350ppm calcium depending on the time of year, and where they are pulling the water from. Depending on the municipality, there is a boat load of chlorine or chloramines in the water too.

My beers were markedly better when I switched to RO and started building my water. The same might not apply to people across the country, but here in Phoenix, it's an issue. Just taste the tap water here; you'll notice what I'm talking about.

Old 12-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #13
a_hard
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottland
The water here is pretty awful for brewing. Bicarbonate is super high, it's very high in sodium, but worst of all, the ion levels vary a ton based on the water source. You could be brewing with 50ppm calcium or 350ppm calcium depending on the time of year, and where they are pulling the water from. Depending on the municipality, there is a boat load of chlorine or chloramines in the water too.

My beers were markedly better when I switched to RO and started building my water. The same might not apply to people across the country, but here in Phoenix, it's an issue. Just taste the tap water here; you'll notice what I'm talking about.
Agree, but it does work for some brews. Four peaks and nimbus in Tucson both brew to fit the water. Nothing, IMHO, beats kilt lifter. At least locally.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 AM   #14
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_hard View Post
Agree, but it does work for some brews. Four peaks and nimbus in Tucson both brew to fit the water. Nothing, IMHO, beats kilt lifter. At least locally.
According to a video tour of Four Peaks, they build water from RO to suit the style they're brewing. I think they came to a similar conclusion to scottland, in that the water here is too much of a moving target to bother trying to hit. Same conclusion I came to.

Kiltlifter is indeed delicious, and 8th Street pale ale is great. I need to get back there, haven't been in a year...

Old 12-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #15
kylelarson
Recipes 

Went to four peaks today, my favorite brewery in the area, papago is up there as well. four peaks has a seasonal pumpkin porter that is pretty solid but my favorite as the previous poster mentioned is their hop knot. They're supposed to be tapping a cask conditioned dry hopped ale on Tuesday I want to get back in and try

Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #16
StainlessBrewing
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 135

Check out Sonoran Brewing. They're putting out some pretty tasty beers. Some not even listed on the site.

Hackwood Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #17
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 121

I love Sonoran's White Chocolate Ale. Their Russian Imperial Stout is amazing as well.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Hackwood Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
a_hard
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc
I love Sonoran's White Chocolate Ale. Their Russian Imperial Stout is amazing as well.
X2 on the white chocolate ale. Great dessert beer. BTW, no one mentioned it but there's a bar downtown w/ 60 plus beers on tap. Copper room or copper blues, forget the exact name. Lots of craft brews.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:00 PM   #19
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1064 Times on 666 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

I'm a big fan of pretty much anything produced by San Tan or Four Peaks. Old World has got to make the worst beer in town IMO.

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 12-04-2012, 12:01 AM   #20
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
I'm a big fan of pretty much anything produced by San Tan or Four Peaks. Old World has got to make the worst beer in town IMO.
I've had Old World's stuff. I was not impressed.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Quick Reply