Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Phoenix Breweries.. The Best?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I'm here for a few days...been to SanTan, Four Peaks and another I wasn't impressed with.. Don't remember the place from last year..

Give me a couple great options.. And a few great IPA's and stouts

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
dfc

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Papago in Scottsdale is really good.

http://www.papagobrewing.com/

The beer is great and the food is great. The service can be a bit slow though, so expect that. It's worth it if you're not in a rush though. I really like their American black ale and if I remember correctly they have a coconut coffee porter or something along those lines. That one is really good too.

Here is a list I found.

http://www.beer100.com/brewpubs_a_to_k/arizona.htm

I've never been to the brewpub, but Sonora makes some great beer. I hope that helps!

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

daksin Likes This 
Old 11-25-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Hop Knot from Four Peaks is one of the best local brews. Most of their beers very good, although they aren't exactly adventurous. SanTan is kind of meh, although their beers have slowly improved. Papago is a fun place to go. Never much buzz around their beers, but they have like 30 taps, most with other breweries beers. Great selection.

Lumberyard IPA from flagstaff is excellent. It's canned (no idea if they date their cans though.) if you're in the East Valley, check out the Hungry Monk or Flanny's. Both bars have an excellent craft selection.

Oh, and Bells is distributed here. Two hearted ale is in every craft beer shop.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
HopSong

Recipes 

Didn't get to Four Peaks or Papago this time. I liked FP last time. This trip we went to Old Town.. it was.. meh.. My son said it was better a couple months ago when he and his girlfriend went. That said, they had a couple of interesting ones. I had an amber I liked as well as another I don't know the name of.. but it was a beer that would be a great intro to sours.. if I had a case of that, I'd maybe get into the sours.. So far, I don't care for them.. even Russian River.. they are too "over the top" for me.

We did, however, get to Phoenix Brewery. The people that own it used to own Pyramid.. sold it and started Phoenix. Gotta say, I liked their beers a lot. We got a GREAT deal from Groupon. Bought two of them. We each got an 8 beer taster along with a pint of our favorite and a beer glass.

Another brewery we went to is a brand new one that was recommended by Phoenix. It's called Fate.. owned by a guy named McFate or MacFate. They also had some great brews. I stuck with the pale ale but finished off my son's girlfriends porter... Lots of good Mmmm's along with a couple of good pizza's.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Don't have any new ones to add, but San Tan is good stuff. Lots of variety, great food, some of the best pale ale and IPA in the state.

Next up: Murphy's Law

Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 119

HAHA I was going to mention Fate, but I see you already posted it. I've been GEEKING for it to actually open since Sept. when I first saw their "Open Soon" banner. I DID make it in this past Friday and took home a pie and a growler of their Pale Ale. Tried it tongiht(I was ON-CALL the past week) and it is pretty darned good. I will be making it over there to test some others soon.

If you are going to be here 12-1-12, try and make it by What Ales Ya for their brew day. Free BBQ and testing all day.

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Old 11-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
HopSong

Recipes 

We were there on Tues nite. Went to see Lincoln at that movie theater where they serve you food.. in the ritzy section of town.. Biltmore??? Then went to Fate. I had their pale ale also. When I was at Phoenix Brewery, I had a bunch of brews also but, because the evening was young, I chose Hoppy Valley pale ale. It was only 4%.. but, boy, it packed a flavor punch.. big time

Old 11-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill View Post
...I chose Hoppy Valley pale ale. It was only 4%.. but, boy, it packed a flavor punch.. big time
Hmm, I may have to check that one out next time I'm in the area, which will be soon. Any other favs?

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
HopSong

Recipes 

Memory of past years is a bit hazy.. but, I think I'd still consider Four Peaks best.. followed by Phoenix. (Mc)Fear is very new.. but very good beer. San Tan was big and popular.. Had a lot of taps of different brews they brewed and from other companies. Papago had almost nothing that they made when I was there last year.. don't know about now.. but, it was loud and very dirty. Great beer selection in the fridge tho. Not the best experience for me. So far, Old World is at the bottom of my list. The place was dead.. a Monday evening.. but the brewer was tending bar and was a great guy. My son said the beer was better a month ago.. so, does that mean inconsistency? I don't know. I'll try them again. I think they may suffer from not being in a good location. The brewery is nice and definitely has the ability to expand.

Obviously, others experiences may differ. The craft brewing scene is starting to grow in the area. There is a new nano we didn't get a chance to try.. I think it's OSO or something like that.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
scottland
Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I'll have to checkout Fate. I'll be honest, I've had Phoenix Brewery's beers, and I wasn't impressed, very run of the mill.

Sleepy Dog falls into that same category, very meh. Four Peaks is the only brewery in town that I actually recommend

Quick Reply