Phases of a Homebrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outside92129

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've only been brewing for a few years now and I'm seeing the various phases my buddies are going through (it takes one to know one right?) This is what i've been through so far, what can I expect to do next?

1) ansy, gotta check the fermentor ever few hours
2) crazy complicated reciepes
3) go big. ABV = quality
4) what can't be fermented? I saw a bush with berries down by the river...
?) enlightenment. RDWHAHB

I would put establishing "house" brews towards the bottom.

5) Hops, in the order of pounds per gallon.

6) Pipeline, always something in the fermenter

7) All grain

8) Repeating steps 1-6 with new all-grain beers

9) Trying out every stupid complicated mash process on every mash that doesn't require it

10) Backlash against the stupidly complicated and or insanely intense beers, and brew too many 3-4% session beers

11) Rebrewing and perfecting "house beers"

And that's about where I am now after brewing a few years.

brewersfriend_infographic_full.jpg

I just went through a lack of interest in brewing phase for about 3 months. I'm back on board now and about to start my next brew in about an hour, happy days :) .

12) Considering your beer gut, alcoholism, and possible liver damage you are thinking about giving up your beloved hobby.

Retired,thinking you'll have more time & money to brew more often. Well...more time anyway. Go from AE to E/SG to PB/PM BIAB. Still can't fill all those bottles at once yet. Thinking about going pro from remarks on your beers. Decide hobby level is better for the time being. Realizing the man cave brewery/comp room needs a fridge for all those bottle beers. then a table & comfortable chairs to go with all that...:tank:

I'm at the point where I haven't brewed the same thing twice - I want to upgrade to another keg so I can have a house brew and then something different.

I did most of those steps out of order and never did AE. We did forget one from early on.

1.25) Panic! I am out of HB! Now what am I going to drink while this next one is fermenting? (Drink Sam Adams instead to collect bottles)

Also, somewhere after you get your pipeline established and or kegging
- Holy Crap! I have 2 dozen cases of empty bottles that I havent touched in forever and still find myself loath to recycle a bottle.

- Go on a Beer Research binge where you buy and consume enough brews to blow any potential savings of brewing your own beer for the next 24 months
- Comparing yourself to numerous brew buddies and try to match their game

I'm not there yet, and want to know when conical is my reality.

How about:

8. Man, oxygenating my wort made such a huge difference.
9. I'm out of oxygen on brewday. Meh.

Back