Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Ph meter conditioning ????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Wheelspin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Ph meter conditioning ????

I've just purchased a Hanna PH meter.

In the instructions it says (see pic blow) "To activate, immerse in storage solution for 2 hours."

Does this mean that every time I use it (say once a week) I have to activate it it first for 2 hours then only calibrate ?

Or is this just a first time use thing ?

Any comments appreciated.

screen-shot-2013-01-29-4.28.48-pm.png  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:04 PM   #2
Vigo_Carpathian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Most pH probes should be stored in a 1M potassium hydroxide solution when not in use. This is not critical though. I just leave mine in buffer all the time when not in use and the probes can last a couple years this way. Storing it in buffer "can" decrease the life of the probe somewhat as well as slow the response time. (I do it anyway though with no ill effects) if your slope gets below 55, then its time to get a new probe. The gel on the interior of the probe is potassium hydroxide which can be leached out over time if not "recharged". For long term storage, I would definitely go with the Storage solution though. Hope this helps.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1541 Times on 1242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelspin View Post
[...]Does this mean that every time I use it (say once a week) I have to activate it it first for 2 hours then only calibrate ?

Or is this just a first time use thing ?
I have the Hanna 98128, and that procedure is a one-time thing. After that you put a few drops of storage solution in the round well inside the cap when you're not using the meter...

Cheers!

Old 01-30-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Wheelspin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thanks guys

Quick Reply