Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > ph meter ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
SAMBUCA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default ph meter ?

OK I want one but not sure what one to buy. Any info. on these?
THANKS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I started a thread and about what brand people had and got not one reply.

I would try Brewboard or Northern Brewer for starting this type of thread.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/what...u-have-107771/

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 05-07-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

I don't have one, and haven't worked with one, so take this with a grain of salt.

For most hoembrewing applications, a pH meter is a little overkill. While pH is important, you can get a bunch of good quality strips to do the job.

Old 05-07-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
red96jeep
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

i would just get some of the strips of paper, as most pH meters on the market arnt that accurate unless u wanna pay close to $100, so the papers are a cheap realiable measure.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Working in a lab, i would not recommend one. The maintenance & calibration required to maintain a meter which reads to the first & second decimal is not worth it (if at least for the $ aspect).

Papers will get you where you need to be.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 05-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

For just brewing, I agree completely. A pH meter is unnecessary overkill. However, I cure sausages, make homemade mayonnaise, can fruits and vegetables, and ferment pickles. Having a meter that allows me to test pH more accurately than strips made sense so I bought an inexpensive pH meter from AustinHomeBrew and 4pH & 7pH calibration solutions. I don't know how much I'll use it, but it's been pretty handy for checking the continued effectiveness of Star San solution so far.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 05-09-2009, 12:10 AM   #7
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Everyone who is saying a pH meter is overkill - please consider that some of us are colourblind. I, for one, cannot read a pH strip if my life depended on it. The pH's on the strip all look nearly identical to me.

On that note. I had a pH meter up until it took an unexpected departure (aka, I have no clue where it is, but suspect it was purloined). It was great and I used it for cooking (canning, some candies ,and other things are pH sensitive, so are some bread recipes). However, I never used it for beer. And, bummer of it all? I cannot recall what brand I had, which is why I have not bought a new one.

Lately, I have been looking at picking up a new one. From other canners, I have heard great things about the Hanna Checker, it is also fairly cheap. I am fairly certain that is not the one I used, so I have no experience with it.

The biggest trick to using a pH meter is calibrate, calibrate, calibrate. Did I mention, calibrate? Oh and clean it in a sterile solution between uses. Cactus had a point on that, they can be a pain. However, my experience is if it did go off calibration it was only by +/- 0.2. Most of the time that was close enough for what I was doing.

When I had mine, every time I used it I would pull my calibration solution out of the fridge, in its little container, and dip the sterilized pH meter tip into it and calibrate - by this I mean, each day I intended to use it I would calibrate it, I rarely needed to recalibrate unless I used it a lot in one day. I replaced the solution every 18 months - I have heard people say you can keep them indefinitely, but I operated on the theory that it would slowly go off because you are introducing materials in it slowly over time.

So, there's my 2 cents. Let us know what you get and if you like it. I am thinking of picking up a Hanna when I start doing all mash, but will wait until then.

And, did I mention, calibrate, calibrate, clean -- and yes, some of us are colourblind and can't read a pH strip to save our lives. Now, if someone can suggest a colourblind friendly pH strip, I'm all eyes.

And, someone else posted a link to a meter on sale for slightly cheaper than the Hanna Checker (albeit, they look similar) in another thread - here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/elec...8-50-a-118245/

M

Last edited by maztec; 05-09-2009 at 12:43 AM.

Quick Reply