Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Pest control

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
1KD1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Pest control

I am a garage drinker for the most part. I have my man cave set up in garage and smoking is only allowed in garage. I have a hose spigot in garage but no wash sink.

My problem is gnats. I can't seem to get rid of them and they really multiply when I drink in the garage or if I have buddies come over and there is lots of beer cans/bottles/etc for these creatures to play with.

This is common for drinking buddies in my neck of the woods (Kansas City, MO). Yet, I haven't found anyone with a good solution to catch or repel these things. Best we have tried so far is the rolls of sticky flypaper. Have tried antifreeze in a bowl, grenadine in a bowl, banana hunks with peels in a mason jar with small funnel. All with horrible results, flypaper actually will catch a bunch but not as fast as they multiply...

What other tricks have you used with success?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
JJL
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You're probably not going to be too excited to hear this, but really the only way to rid yourself of any pest is to change the environment so they don't want to be there. I'm thinking a large trash can with a lid that you can drag outside when you're done and some tap covers would go a long way to helping the problem.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
1KD1
Recipes 

My home owners association doesn't allow trash cans outside the house. I already use a trash can with a lid inside the garage. All bottles and glasses are taken inside to be rinsed out at the end of the night. I am still new to kegging so I just have the cobra tap inside the fridge. (but will keep the tap covers in mind when keezer is built)

Guess I am just stuck with the gnats and ugly flypaper.

Old 06-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Even if you deny access to the beer cans and such to keep them from breeding, they will still smell it and come looking for it. They can be quite a nuisance, I agree. I've had good success keeping numbers down using fly paper and setting a small container with a little homebrew in it right underneath the fly paper. I've heard of others using a larger container with beer in it and adding a couple drops of dish soap to break the surface tension so that they land, sink and drown. As others have said, the only way to completey get rid of them is to remove the stuff that is attracting them in the first place.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:27 AM   #5
1KD1
Recipes 

Thanks for the tips. I will amp up my efforts.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:59 AM   #6
phoenixs4r
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I'm assuming you clean up after yourself. When I decided to build my brew stand, it was spur of the moment kind of, and left about a gallon of 1.100 IPA sitting in the bottom of the keg for a couple weeks while I worked on it. I won't be making that mistake again!

Old 06-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
1KD1
Recipes 

Yeah. I try to remember to mop the floor every brew day. I take all bottles and glasses indoors(for cleaning) - the only thing left would be BMC cans in a lidded trash can.

Guess maybe this year the gnats are worse due to our mild winter. Wander if citronella plants work on them???

Old 06-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #8
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 375 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Once in a while when you have everything put away spray a small shot of Yard Guard in the closed up garage. It will kill any bugs that are hanging out. Just make sure you clean all of your equipment before you brew...

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keezer-i-guess-its-my-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
RedBeard1
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I bartended, we sometimes had problems. Pouring a bleach solution down sink and floor drains always helped, and check for bits of junk in the bottom of the trash can, under the bag. Anything fruity or yeasty will draw them.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
1KD1
Recipes 

Yard guard squirt in closed garage and bleach in drain. I will try both. Thanks

Quick Reply