Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Peru style Chicha

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Nic0
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Peru style Chicha

Hopefully this is the right forum... if not, Mods, feel free to move.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a beer show on TV, I guess the people on the show just try to go around the world and learn about a traditional style of beer or other fermented beverage of a specific location, and then try to make their own back at their brewery.

The episode I saw was about Chicha, the type made traditionally in Peru (I've read that other Chicha types are significantly different than this, so I wanted to be specific), where people chew up a specific corn/maize grain and spit it out. I forget all the steps, but from what I remember, the saliva does the initial breakdown of starches to sugars, and then they sparge that and boil it, probalby add some hops or something to alter the flavors and aromas.

I'm inclined to try something like this, mostly becuase it's pretty unique (peopel chewing up and spitting out grain), and it grosses some people out, which makes it that much more fun.

Anyone tried making one of these before? Or have you tasted one that someone else made?

Thanks!

Nic

Bottled: a strange yet somehow award winning pale ale
Primary Fermenter: Experimental porter
Kegged: Nothing, as I have no kegging equipment
Favorite Commercial Beers: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, Young's D.C. Stout, Choc Last Laugh
Upscale equipment project slowly progressing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
dvdanny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic0 View Post
Hopefully this is the right forum... if not, Mods, feel free to move.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a beer show on TV, I guess the people on the show just try to go around the world and learn about a traditional style of beer or other fermented beverage of a specific location, and then try to make their own back at their brewery.

The episode I saw was about Chicha, the type made traditionally in Peru (I've read that other Chicha types are significantly different than this, so I wanted to be specific), where people chew up a specific corn/maize grain and spit it out. I forget all the steps, but from what I remember, the saliva does the initial breakdown of starches to sugars, and then they sparge that and boil it, probalby add some hops or something to alter the flavors and aromas.

I'm inclined to try something like this, mostly becuase it's pretty unique (peopel chewing up and spitting out grain), and it grosses some people out, which makes it that much more fun.

Anyone tried making one of these before? Or have you tasted one that someone else made?

Thanks!

Nic
It was Brewmasters and I remember everyone having a hard time processing all that corn (it took him 5 hours to chew 7 lbs of corn the first time he did it). That said in the same episode alot of traditional chicha brewers are also using malted corn to augment the chewed corn. You can definitely look into that as well.

You could also use Beano too which has the the amalyze enzyme that is in human spit.

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

Old 12-30-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2798 Times on 2745 Posts
Likes Given: 123

It's called Brewmasters. It's about DogFish Head brewery. One of the largest US craft breweries. I've not seen anyone mentioning making this. Did you notice how much corn they had to chew up and spit out!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
Nic0

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
It's called Brewmasters. It's about DogFish Head brewery. One of the largest US craft breweries. I've not seen anyone mentioning making this. Did you notice how much corn they had to chew up and spit out!
Yes, it was an aweful lot. Of course, didn't they make a total of a couple of hundred gallons? For a 5 gallon batch to try at home I'm sure me and a few friends could manage to chew the neccesary corn quantity.

Favorite Commercial Beers: Guinness Foreign Extra Stout, Young's D.C. Stout, Choc Last Laugh

Old 12-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
dvdanny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic0 View Post
Yes, it was an aweful lot. Of course, didn't they make a total of a couple of hundred gallons? For a 5 gallon batch to try at home I'm sure me and a few friends could manage to chew the neccesary corn quantity.
For 5 gallons it should be doable, I mean thats about the size they do in Peru, plus there is always the Beano I mentioned. Your friends might not like you so much after you ask them to chew all that corn though, the episode made it pretty clear that everyone absolutely hated the process.

Primary:
"Armored Pegasus" - Extra IPA
Bottled:
"Queen of Thrace" Almond Cream Stout, "Genesis" Ancient Hebrew Smoked Date Beer, "Lumberjack" Maple Dunkelweizen (10% abv), "1776" Molasses Porter, "Scarecrow" American heavily hopped Hefe, "Iron Horse" American Amber

Old 12-30-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Soak the corn first, then chew... that was the take-home message I got from that episode.

Also there were 5 total episodes, and each one highlighted making a unique beer. The other episodes are online, and there is actually a thread on this forum that is about 50 bazillion pages long discussing that show. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/brew...agione-202853/

Old 12-30-2010, 08:24 PM   #7
Nic0

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdanny View Post
Your friends might not like you so much after you ask them to chew all that corn though, the episode made it pretty clear that everyone absolutely hated the process.
I'm sure I'll be able to find at least one who is willing... he's my normal beer making partner. And if not, then I'll just hate myself for chewing twice as much corn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
Also there were 5 total episodes, and each one highlighted making a unique beer. The other episodes are online, and there is actually a thread on this forum that is about 50 bazillion pages long discussing that show. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/brew...agione-202853/
Thanks! I'll go back and watch the rest of them. I had only see that one episode and I missed the first half-ish of it. I'll see if I can make a dent in the 50 bazillion pages on that show as well.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:31 AM   #8
g-love
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've never seen this show you guys are talking about (I've heard of it). However, I spent some time in Ecuador learning Spanish between my Senior year and my 2nd Senior year in college :-) Anyway, some of the kids that I went to school with and I got a chance to spend a week deep in the Jungle with some Indians. Long story short, one night we got in a circle with a Shaman (sp.) and they passed a bowl of Chica around. They explained what it was and in an effort to not seem rude most of us tried it. I found it to be very bitter and that was about it. It didn't taste like much else to me. All in all the trip was an awesome experience and being able to tell people I drank something partially made up of human spit was always a fun story..... :-)

Old 12-31-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

That's really cool. In its more natural form (without the barley malt that Dogfish Head added as required by their license, and Dogfish Head's need to make it a stronger version appealing to the consumer) it's apparently only 2 to 3 ish percent alcohol.

EDIT: forgot to mention, had a similar experience with Kava in Fiji (though not exactly with a tribe, but more of a backpacker type resort place) - seemed like muddy water to me... (with a high probability of having the ****s) though it's not fermented and no alcohol in Kava. Just a numbing of the mouth effect and a general weird feeling.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
Nic0

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I figure if I do it, I may do a pure corn version, and then a version with something else... probably barley.

Anyway, g-love, pretty neat story. I never got to go on any cool trips in college. However I was a senior the last 2 years.... 6 years in college total for an associate's and bachelor's degree. woo.

Quick Reply