New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Persimmon Wheat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
swensonsn
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Persimmon Wheat?

Someone gave me about 20lbs of persimmons. I am using 15lbs to make some persimmon wine, and thought with the left over 5 lbs trying a Persimmon wheat. Has anyone tried this before? And recipes? Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Go for it! I've not used persimmons before, but I've made 2 batches of fruit Hefeweissen. One was kiwi, the other blackberry. I use a Franziskaner clone because of the slight sweetness and banana, and add the fruit at flameout then let it sit for ten minutes. The kiwi version is one of my friends' absolute favorite. The blackberry is a bit tart, but I like it a lot.

"All your home brew are belong to us!"

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
Phunhog
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I have a Persimmon tree and have made a persimmon braggot and a persimmon mead. This year I will make a wine. I think your idea would be great!! I would just pick your favorite American Wheat recipe ferment as normal and add the fruit to the secondary. It has been my experience though that Persimmons are a pretty neutral fruit and that it takes a lot of fruit for it to make a difference flavor wise. But it does give it some of that cool orange color.

Check out my nanobrewery!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Two-Trees-Brewing-Co/102323289804018

Quick Reply