Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Perfume, Beets, and Pan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2009, 03:52 AM   #1
avibayer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Perfume, Beets, and Pan

I am currently reading jitterbug perfume by tom robbins, and it is inspiring two big thoughts in my head.

the first, is that i want to brew a beer made with beets. I saw wilco this past summer and magic hat had a beet beer that was real tasty. Plus i have been dying to brew my first red.

on that note, any recipe/ thoughts on brewing with beets?

the second inspiring aspect of the book, is that since its all about perfume and smells, and since i happen to have a very sensitive nose (old ladies at the book store with their old lady perfume gives me a migraine), i want to start getting more into aromas of my beers.

where pan comes into play, is in my never ending attempts at using my brewing hobby to pick up girls at school. The other night i was at a party and got the "hey, arnt you the guy who brews his own beer?". sadly, i did not get her number, too distracted by another girl dressed as a picasso painting. next time i will know the right path to take, but these are the mistakes of youth that i enjoy.

right, pan. in the book, pan has total game, and uses aroma to assist it. I'm thinking, can i brew a delicious beet beer, with an aroma so wonderful, girls will smell/drink it, and then hand me their numbers?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2009, 04:11 AM   #2
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Um,...maybe?!?!

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 11-03-2009, 04:36 AM   #3
Devantf
Recipes 

#1 - unlikely

#2 - while your dreaming, why dont you just make a beer that makes girls drop to their knees??

Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 AM   #4
Nugent
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Hmmm ... uhhh ... hmmm.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #5
Benjibbad
Recipes 

It can be done!!

I remember reading in herbal brews/sacred beers (or something like that) there are certain plants that have an aphrodesiac quality to them that can be extracted during the brewing process. I'm not sure how it will taste though

Primary 1: Cedrella Vanilla Porter
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Old 11-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #6
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Jitterbug perfume is one of my favorite books! Coincidentally, I'm reading "Another Roadside Attraction" by Tom Robbins right now.

I, too, was obsessed with beets after reading it. You might want to scan, or type up the opening page on beets for HBT, so they can understand the passion.

Shortly after starting that book, I went to the grocery store and bought a couple pounds of beets to boil and eat just by themselves. heavenly.

No idea how to add beets to a beer.....subscribed.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
johntangus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avibayer View Post
…too distracted by another girl dressed as a picasso painting. next time i will know the right path to take, but these are the mistakes of youth that i enjoy.
Is that kind of like the "Monet" Girl - looks hot from far away, but up close is a mess?

Just kidding, great book by one of my favorite authors. I want to read the kid's book he wrote about beer. Sounds cool. Beet beer - sounds gross.

Why do you want to watch TV and listen to the stereo at the same time? Because I like to party.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:48 PM   #8
Matrix4b
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts

That book rocked. Read it in Highschool on my own at the suggestion of my lang arts teach.

For your recipie, I prob would go with a pumpkin or sweet potato recipie and swap out the pumpkin with beets. Ofcourse you may need to do a large batch of base and then divide it into various test batches to get what you are looking for. Ofcourse I am a mead maker. I have heard some meads described as liquid panty dropper. A misnomer I am sure. But I have been thinking on a sweet chocolate mead. I have seen that flavor of mead been coveted by many women. I recomend brewing mead, it is easier and less stepps but you do have to wait 6 to 12 months after bottling for aging before it gets really good.

Ofcourse tweeking and tweening any recipie is in order.

I am not sure of the actual aroma and flavor of beets or fermented beats.

In college huh? Well, sounds like you got a science experiment on your hands. Make a bunch of test brews. See which way is best and then improve upon it in a big batch.

Best of luck.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The whole beer to get girls thing was mainly for levity, though there was a girl at the party, impressed that i brew, who seemed interested. but that is besides the point.

beet beer! thats the point. Magic hat had a summer ale this past summer called wacko, which used beet juice in it. I want to know if anyone has brewed with beet sugar, beet juice?

ive never brewed with anything but grain and hops, and dont know the first thing about adding fruits and vegetables. guess theres only one way to find out. but i was hoping for feedback.

and to all who havn't, you should read jitterbug perfume.

"An old Ukranian proverb warns, 'A tale that begins with a beet will end with the devil.' That is a risk we have to take."

Old 11-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johntangus View Post
Is that kind of like the "Monet" Girl - looks hot from far away, but up close is a mess?.
nope. she was dope. even up close.

Quick Reply